Keeping fit and Healthy

I like to keep fit and healthy, I am now 71 and have been healthy all my life, I enjoy walking and cycling and also keep fit at home by doing exercises such as yoga planks, work with kettle weights and do push and sit ups regularly. When I am out cycling there is an exercise park nearby to where I live. I stop and I get on this rowing machine and do 140 strokes on it, after that, I carry on cycling. I don't go on really long cycle runs now as I used to, frequent short rides are just as good as long energetic runs. One thing I have not done is run 5k, 10k, half or full marathon distances although I do watch them on TV or if they are near to where I live I will cheer on the runners.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • I am also 71 (later this year :) ) - I started running from a zero fitness/exercise background 4 years ago and subsequently have run 100 5k parkruns , a number of 10K "races" and 3 HM's. I am currently on the injury couch - not caused by running , although I was jogging when it happened , but caused by my eyesight !! ( not looking where I was going!! :( )

You are obvious very fit and you might enjoy doing a bit of jogging/running. Ignore the naysayers who say it will "ruin your knees" etc - most of them who say things like this are overweight sloths! You could try firstly doing some short run/walks. The C25k programme is ideal - but you could test the waters by running/walking for 30 second intervals of each. Be careful though - because it IS addictive. !!

• On the same subject - because of my foot injury, I have joined a local gym 6 weeks or so ago which I go to 5 days per week. I also bought a mountain bike - but soon discovered it is magpie season here so I have put it aside for another few weeks. I have never been a gym lover - still aren't , but I have developed a habit of going every morning ( same as I used to run) and this gym has enough equipment to keep me interested. I use the Internet a lot to learn how to use it all correctly.

• Bazza1234 has given you some great advice... Just make a little start and see how you feel..my guess is you would enjoy it.

If you do, we would be delighted to have you join us... :) ( I started at 65.. still running at 68 !

• I am 65 and starting C25k 6 months ago. I have no regrets. It has transformed my life, physically and mentally. Like you I did cycling and exercises and swimming but was far from fit, you sound in a much better place. I always thought I couldn't run and tripped over my own feet if I tried but with the programme and the support on here I made it to graduation and haven't looked back. For me its safer than cycling as I had a few falls from my bike but none to date whilst running! Let us know if you decide to give it a go, sounds like you would enjoy it. Good luck whatever you decide.

You may also like...