Advice on topping up my runs with swimming

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all having happy running weeks. I'm halfway through Week 3 (thanks for the support earlier in the week - I kept all your wise words in my head as I ran and it really helped!)

I have a question about supplementary exercise. I've been swimming on my rest days this week to try to build a bit of strength up. I wondered if I would be ok doing a swim and a run on the same day (one in the morning and one in the evening - I'm no Superwoman!) or whether this wouldn't be recommended? Any advice would be gratefully received. :-)

Thank you!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have run and swam on the same day but it knocks me out a bit. If you've still got lots of energy while going through the program I can't see a problem with it. Just be mindful that as your distances increase it will make it a lot bigger workout with the run and that will need to be taken into consideration.

• Thank you so much for the advice. I have a tendency towards being over-keen so wanted to check - I don't want to do anything to jeopardise my ability to run. I may try it tomorrow and see how I get on. As you say, as I get into the later weeks it may be too much so I'll take it slow and steady. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• I usually go to the gym and swim on the days when I'm not running, as it can be quite tiring. Having said that, when I first started the programme I was doing my run as the warm up to my gym workout, and afterwards I would swim. However, as the runs became longer (i.e. the running time increased) round about week 4 or 5 I realised that I needed more recovery time.

Now, sometimes I end up doing a long walk or cycle ride with Mr R on a day when I have run and it doesn't seem to affect me too much. I think you just need to listen to your body and make sure you don't overdo it. Swimming uses muscles in a different way to running and is lo impact, so it can't harm I wouldn't have thought, anti can be quite soothing if your legs are achy.

You sound like a real keen bean. :-)

(I'm down to run on Friday morning and my gym has just started a Zumba class at 11am, so I'm just working out if I can get up and run early so that I'm recovered enough to cope with Zumba - which I haven't done for a couple of years. Watch this space.... it could all go horribly wrong. 😂 😂 😂)

• This keen bean decided against it! :-) :-) I think I'm just so excited about actually enjoying exercising (never thought I'd ever say that!) - I got a little over eager!

Thanks so much for the advice - it is so helpful. I'd be lost without this forum! Good luck with Zumba!

• Listen to Realfoodieclub ... she knows!

• I certainly will - I'm so grateful for all the support and advice on this forum. I listen to and use all the wise words to spur me on (and sometimes to calm down my over-eagerness!)

• Running and swimming complement each other well, if you are tempted to do them on the same day, run first so swimming is a gentle recovery. I am currently training for a 10 mile event which means 1 of my runs each week is becoming very long, and and I am finding swimming the next day to be very helpful. Don't forget to include some load bearing work in your week, especially to strengthen glutes and core.

You may also like...