Couch to 5K

Article on why we love to run

I thought this was a very interesting and inspiring article on why we love to run - it seems we evolved to do it, and that it brings back our child-like joy.

theguardian.com/lifeandstyl...

A couple of excerpts:

Running brings us joy. Watch small children when they are excited, at play, and mostly they can't stop running. Back and forth, up and down, in little, pointless circles. I remember, even as an older child, I'd often break into a run when walking along the street, for no reason.

Racing along out on the trails, or even through the busy streets of a city, splashing through puddles, letting the rain drench us, the wind ruffle us, we begin to sense a faint recollection of that childish joy. Somewhere a primal essence stirs deep within us; this being born not to sit at a desk or read newspapers and drink coffee, but to live a wilder existence. As we run, the layers of responsibility and identity we have gathered in our lives, the father, mother, lawyer, teacher, Manchester United-supporter labels, all fall away, leaving us with the raw human being underneath.

I think that really resonates with me - especially the part about all the layers of responsibility and labels falling away.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

This is indeed a fantastic article that I think someone linked to once before (or maybe I just stumbled across it, googling all things running one day!) Either way, thanks for posting - I get it!☺

1 like

I think I posted a similar link a while back! One of the Snippets of the Day when Irishprincess was on her hols!

2 likes

Great link.... thank you... it definitely resonates with me... it is why I run...it is why I do and have done some of the silliest things on my running journey! :)

1 like

I can resonate with this! Even as a student I would run home after lectures, mostly to run off any unpleasant feelings and get everything back into perspective. Walking fast has also been a great way for me to work off any emotions. Thinking about it I suppose it's only now that I run for pleasure!

1 like

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Thanks Iain 😀

If you want to see the persistence hunt used by hunter gatherers and mentioned in the article, there's a David Attenborough clip on Youtube:

1 like

Wow! What an amazing video. What incredible endurance that guy had. Also, I thought, extremely moving at the end. Thanks for posting.

You may also like...