Couch to 5K

I should have run into the Specsavers window!!

Hi everyone,

I completed my 5 mile run on Thursday evening, managing to shave another 1:30 of the overall time.

Friday was rest day and I was all siked up for a Saturday 10 mile run, in my HM training.

Saturday.

What a beautiful day for running. I looked out of our lounge window at 6.30am and I could see that it was going to be a nice day, there were just a few light clouds and the sea looked quite calm.

Porridge for breakfast and whilst I was digesting prior to my run I had a quick look at my training programme.

Doh!

I had misread, Today should have been a 10K run!

What the heck I set off at 9am and jogged over the causeway. The sun stays low at this time of the year so I was running in the shadow of the Island until I was 3/4 the way across. There was a cool breeze but I felt fine. (Shorts, T shirt & gloves)

I Turned up the Rodwell trail heading towards Weymouth, I was now in a blaze of sunlight.

Heading uphill towards Sandsfoot Castle I was already loving the run, there were quite a few cyclists, dog walkers and a few runners around. After the castle the trail becomes more wooded. I had a Robin bouncing along just ahead of me, I was obviously in his territory. Magpies, Grey Squirrels a multitude of other birds and even a rat, all darting around. I started to drop down towards Weymouth and out of the shade of the trees, the sun was again warming my back and legs. I took an energy gel and then reached the end of the trail.

I went through an underpass and then I was bouncing along with the sun in my face around the inner harbour.

To my pleasure the town lifting bridge was down so running across it I rejoined the pathway around the harbour. I saw Mute Swans, Coots, Mallards and Cormorants. With the sun reflecting off the water I was glad my glasses turn dark.

(even if they can't tell the difference between 10k & 10m.)

On completion off the harbour I rejoined the Rodwell, for my return to Portland. Passing over the Fleet at the start of the causeway there were lots of Twitchers, snapping away at a multitude of different birds along the edge of the water. I had the sun in my face again, the breeze was keeping me cool. Passing the 9 mile point my legs were starting to get a bit heavy. I was smiling to myself, thinking that I did my first run, 16 weeks ago. Thanks Couch to 5k.

I hope that you all have a great weekend and some lovely runs.

All the best.

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Tee hee. You're not alone in needing new specs. I turned up for my first race thinking it was 10k. It wasn't. It was 10 miles. ERk!

I often look at my plan and read the wrong line 😀 Oh well, you have to be prepared to keep things fluid sometimes

Sounds like you had a lovely run anyway 😀

1 like

Loved your reply,

It must have been a shock to find that you had a few more miles than expected.

Yes, my run was great.

I find that the first mile is normally not that nice, then once I'm warmed up I start to enjoy. It must be my old bones.

All the best.

Lovely post, I can almost feel I was there with you from your description! What an amazing place to run in, I am very jealous!!

1 like

Hi, thanks for the reply,

It's a great place to run and live.

Lots of hills for when I get fitter and lots of routes over every type of terrain but I will stay on the safe stuff, for the near future.

All the best.

1 like

Wow really in 16 weeks you have gone from couch to 10 miles?! That's brilliant. And aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful place with so many scenic running routes to choose from? Im only at the beginning of the challenge - I start week four tomorrow and have mainly been running on the Preston beach wall as it's nice and flat!

1 like

Hi annie1970,

Thanks for the reply and good luck on week 4.

I don't know if you have thought about getting a gait analysis done, but if you do, there's a new shop that opened in Poundbury in December.

It's called "Running Free."

You can get the address from the website.

All the best.

1 like

Hi wanawig no I didn't know you could even do that! Might be something to consider later on. I'm just happy I have found some sort of running rhythm tjat is natural and not a tense awkward one. Thanks for the tip.

Week four run one today along Preston sea wall.

1 like

You may also like...