High hopes

High hopes

Hi guys, I started couch to 5k with the new year having previously loathed running - and now I know why! Trying to run as long as you can and then stopping and feeling like you want to vomit = no fun. Couch to 5k = literally the best! I spent week 1 on a serious high, and then week 2 got interrupted by phone-loss and awful weather, but I'm back and I just bought myself some proper shoes instead of my bargain basement trainers, so the future looks rosy! (Pic of the frozen pond on my run this morning - I love that running gets me outside <3)

I'm thinking about aiming towards a 5k race, is anyone else doing that? I think it would be the perfect way to prove to myself that I can do something I never believed I could.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • A 5k race, your local parkrun....the world is your oyster and yes, it is a good idea to have something to focus on. Good luck !

• Oh how I love this post. So true! C25k is SO different. So achievable. So inspiring. Sign up for a park run or a charity 5k, it will give you something to aim for.

So glad you're enjoying it 😊

• Thank you! I think a big part of my enjoyment is the pleasure of it totally took me by surprise :D

• What a lovely positive post, so glad you are enjoying your runs - looks a really nice place to run. I graduated at Easter last year and then set myself a goal to run a Race for Life 5k. I would certainly recommend it because it was so well organised including a fun warm up to music led by a local trainer. Go for it!

• That's a great idea! I'll have a look for one near me. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Racing is proper fun! It'll make you giddy 😀

Mind you, that's an aspiration to work for but it does give you a real focus to your runs 🙂

• Well done. Love the photo. Probably like most of here when started couldn't run for a bus. Now I could beat the bus home !!

Apart form the health and well being it's the great sense of achievement and having a cheesy grin on your face !!

Keep us all posted.

• Will do! There'll be a new shoes post from me soon :)

• Such a lovely photo and post and perfectly describing why C25K is such a great program - it teaches us that the running experience can be fun and gives such a sense of achievement. Well done on a great start. I think Parkrun is a great idea as a goal. Check out their website to find your nearest free timed 5k run which is held every week. Very inclusive and a great mix of runners of all abilities and ages. Race for Life is also a fantastic event and of course such a great cause. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the program!

• I love the getting out doors bit, strange how I used to have to drag myself out to walk the dog but since losing him last year I've loved going out for a run in any weather

• Hi. Love your positive approach. Fingers crossed all your runs turn out that way. Even the ones that really hurt are good for you! Welcome and good luck.

• You should! Pick a fun one, maybe a month after your expected graduation. That's what I did and I was top of the world that day.

• I signed myself for 5k run in May. Well, I signed first and then I started training:) I always first do then think. The run is May 13th so I have around 10 weeks giving me possibility to do two of the weeks twice. Today I did my week 2 run 2. I am full of hope :)

You may also like...