Happy International parkrun Day

I'm sure a lot of you will have heard of parkrun at least - that free, weekly, timed run every Saturday morning. If you're near the end of the C25K or you've just graduated and you've never done one, why not give it a go? You don't have to run the whole way - in fact some people walk the whole 5k.

After graduating in November 2015 I put off doing my first one for a while (work commitments mainly) but then I eventually plucked up the courage to go to Leamington Spa to run their rather muddy parkrun course on 2nd Jan 2016. Today I'm doing my 14th at the pancake-flat Stratford upon Avon and I have loved every single one of them.

You just need to visit parkrun.org.uk/register/ to register for an account, print off your personal barcode and then turn up for about 8:50.

Out of curiosity, for the experienced parkrunners, I wonder who has the most parkruns under their belt... anyone in the 100 club?

12 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Well done, Simon, sadly the nearest parkrun to me is too far away to be practical. I know what you mean about post 5K, so nice to run with other people too. Thanks for promoting this :D

• Thanks for that... i am being gradually encouraged to take the plunge.. just wish the one near me was a bit flatter, so i would stand a chance of not coming last :)

• Hi SWT, I love parkrun, been going nearly a couple of years, I am very proud to say I have a 25 volunteer shirt and I'm in the 50 club (67th run today๐Ÿ˜€)

It's the best invention ever! Oh and Oldfloss I am not fast, always in the last quarter, park run is for everyone. (And sometimes I do the tail runner role who is last! - nothing to be concerned about there ๐Ÿ˜„)

Great post ๐Ÿ‘

Mx

• I have grown to love parkrun. Today was my 19 and I actually ran a PB, 31:05. Walsall Arboretum Parkrun is brilliant and has runners in their 80s! I've also done Ormskirk and York. I'd encourage anyone to have a go.

• I managed a PB yesterday too (22:58). The guy who finished one place behind me in 23:02 was in the 75-79 age group... amazing!

• I have just registered for parkrun and hope to doing my first next Saturday, also at Stratford upon Avon, though I will be a very long way behind your time simonwilliamstutor !! I'm not sure if I can even run for 5K but as the course is so flat, I might stand a chance of doing it. I'll be lurking at the back with the tailrunner :-)

• Brilliant! Well done! I'll be the one giving you your finish token - I'm volunteering next week.

• Excellent - I look forward to my first finishing token, I will be one of the last though! I'd be happy to volunteer after I've been a few times and understand how it all runs :-)

• You might find you're well ahead of the tailrunner. Quite often there are people at Stratford who just walk the whole way. This Saturday the tailrunner's time was 57:18

• Thank you for my finishing token simonwilliamstutor - not quite last, but not far off! Lovely atmosphere, and very welcoming, I enjoyed my first parkrun experience, and will definitely be back :-)

• You're welcome and well done on your first parkrun. Only six days till the next one!

• It was great to be doing parkrun yesterday with so many other people. To be part of this worldwide phenomenon is wonderful. It was my thirteenth and I got a personal best of 31 minutes 11seconds, entirely because there were pacers yesterday and apart from a wee Ventolin-walk I pursued that poor 31 minute pacer with a fierce determination. He can't really have enjoyed the heavy breathing stalker tailing him the whole way but I was very grateful!

You may also like...