"I can't go on. I'll go on"

"I can't go on. I'll go on"

Love a bit of Samuel Beckett. I actually went out with the quote in the picture in my head but the title was a better description of my run.....

I was quietly determined today to do a 30 minute run and decided to go along my old route without the added detours but I also thought if I don't do the 30 minutes - relax about it - just go for a run πŸ˜€

Absolutely beautiful autumn morning, sunny but not too warm with a lovely breeze.

Started real slow, had achey calves but the views were fabulous and I concentrated on those today holding my head up and taking it all in.

Pumped those arms and did my breathing correctly and kept going.

Got to about 15- 20 minutes and thought I can't go on. This is where I keep stopping at the moment - my danger zone and I know myself well enough to know that if I don't keep achieving eventually I will give up.........

So, I visualised myself getting to 30 minutes and how I would feel by getting there and so I pushed on and got there - 30 minutes running in the bag πŸŽ‰

Never easy for me this running lark πŸ™„

Today is a good day - this old tortoise feels good 🐒

p.s apologies for the use of the F word - it is a positive slant πŸ˜‚

Last edited by

17 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Well done Kate. To think you can't, then to do it anyway is a great achievement and shows lots of determination. I used to have a place on one particular 5k route where I always felt the need to stop, until one day I realised that there was a tiny, almost imperceptible, down hill gradient for the next km. Haha, I never stopped there again - why would I throw away the chance of an easy km at the end of a run! :)

• ~Haha! Great πŸ˜€

• Aw! Love the quote and well done for beating your gremlins and hitting 30 mins. And it certainly was a beautiful autumn day today - just love this time of yearπŸ˜€πŸ!

• me too - love autumn πŸ˜€

• Well done Kate and I love the quote. You're right it's not easy but it does get easier and the rewards just keep giving.

• Thanks - hope it does πŸ˜€

• It is interesting that your head can play such a part in this. Well done πŸ˜…- my mantra is from the 401challenge where the guy doing 401 consecutive marathons said 'you can always do a little bit more...' Once you run 20 minutes the increments thereafter are small enough for you to think 'yeah, I can do a little bit more'. It doesn't mean that every time you go out you'll be successful but we all cope with the odd blip.

• Great thought - thanks you πŸ˜€

• When it's hard, success is all the sweeter. Well done!

• Well done Kate. Savour your success as Laura would say.😊

Go you...x

• I'm keeping going Jan-now-runs πŸ˜€

• 'Fall Seven Times, Stand Up Eight' is an old Japanese proverb that came to mind reading this :) You are a Running Star Kate :)

• I wish John - it does feel like hard work but something must be gelling as I am keeping going πŸ˜€

• No glory in taking the easy options Kate :)

• True but difficult to remember when you are out there πŸ˜€

• Well done for bashing the gremlins πŸ˜€ Enjoy the buzzzzzzz 🐝🐝

• Thanks - those monkeys are a blast haha πŸ˜‚πŸ˜€

You may also like...