W6R3 - suddenly getting a stitch??

I did weeks 1-5 without tooooo much difficulty - some heavy legs and gremlins to be sure, but no massive physical discomfort. This week though, suddenly I seem to be getting a stitch? It happened during W6R2, but I breathed through it and drank some water and it went away after a few minutes. Today though, it struck about 6 minutes in and just would not shift. i couldn't actually finish the run and had to stop a couple of times on the way. I didn't get a stitch at all in W5R3, so what's suddenly happening? I've been careful with my food and drink, had my normal breakfast (two slices of toast and a cup of tea) two hours before running and even made sure to drink extra water this morning as I worried this might happen. I actually cried a little bit on the treadmill and now I'm just dreading W7. Help!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Try slowing it down a bit and ensure you are taking nice long/deep breaths.

• The only times I seem to get stitch is when I drink too much water beforehand. I have no idea if it's related or just a coincidence but I try to drink just enough water and not too much. You might just experiment with this and see what works for you. When you do get a stitch, take deep, short belly breaths as if you're blowing up a balloon. The breaths have to come from the lower belly (stick your tummy out when you do this) to work. Well, it works for me 😊

You may also like...