Couch to 5K
60,399 members93,056 posts

W6R3 interrupted by stitch!

I have got into the habit of running first thing in the morning before breakfast but I thought I'd eat something today as it seemed a bit mean to expect my body to run a full 25 minutes with no fuel. I waited an hour after eating my cereal & I felt like it had definitely gone down by the time I set off.

The stitch turned up at around the halfway mark (12.5 mins), I tried the usual tricks of slowing down, breathing deeply & pushing my stomach out but this one was a nasty one & would not budge so I ended up slowing right down to a walk. I did intervals for the rest of the time: Run until stitch gets bad, walk until stitch gets better and so on.

I feel a bit disappointed but already can't wait to try again, maybe without breakfast next time.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

If i run before 9am i dont have breakfast, fuelled from the day before.

If i run from 9am onwards (parkrun for example), i have a small bowl porridge and half banana at least hour and half before.

Much is trial and error as we are all different. Stitch is often a sign of not properly hydrated.

1 like

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to use this as an excellent excuse to treat myself to one of those clutch water bottles!

1 like

You need to hydrate pre run, and be mindful the evening before to drink water ready for your run the following day. Good luck!

2 likes

We have them they are good 😃

1 like

I keep having problems with stitch as well; today I managed to somehow do something to a nerve while doing those breathing exercises, causing the pain to spike up from my abdomen to my shoulder and neck! I did keep going (saying OWWWW with every exhale) and it went away eventually, but it does make everything so much harder.

The tip about hydration is useful - I have to be careful because I tend to feel sick if I've drunk too much before a run, but I'll have to try and drink lots the night before.

Good luck for your next go at W6R3!

2 likes

I run before breakfast as well. I am on W7 so the same runs as you did this morning. I read on a running website that as a general rule of thumb (we are all different after all) that people can run around 6 miles in the morning without needing to eat beforehand. As our bodies access the stored fat reserves - which actually makes it better for weight-loss.

Another thing I was told, which seems to work for me is to time your out breath when your opposite foot (opposite to the side the stitch is on) hits the ground. I find after a few of these the stitch goes!

2 likes

Hi, I like to run first thing so get up just after 6am and eat a banana before I get dressed. While I'm getting ready I sip a glass of water and go out about 6.45. So far this has worked for me. I then have breakfast once I'm back, have done my stretches and had a shower. Just my way of doing things.

Well done for getting to the end of W6, you're well on the way to graduation.

Happy Running!

3 likes

Hi, I too like to run first thing in the morning at 6am. A glass of water & a few jelly babies sweets before I set off works for me. Only once did I eat breakfast before & I suffered. It really is what works best for you. Well done on getting to week 6.

3 likes

Yes the water you drink the day before is what is hydrating you in the morning. At least 3 litres the day before exercise. Preferably 4.

There is a method of releasing a stitch by pushing your fist into the side where the stitch is really hard. I have tried it a number of times and on one occasion it worked like magic... Presto! stitch gone in a flash. Every other time it did nothing and I could not ever work out what i did differently the time it worked.

1 like

I also find I so way better with nothing in my stomach. I've discovered first thing in the am, no food, and no stitches!

2 likes

You may also like...