Post week 9, 34 min, further, slower, more steady

I used the week 8 podcast today, starting my run from the start of the 5min warm up. That should have added up to 33 min but when I checked endomondo afterwards I'd run for 34min, for 4.14k. I felt like the pace was right, and i like the idea of keeping going towards 5k.next week I'll try something different on Mon and wed again, then maybe repeat this 34min, or go a bit further, on Fri.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

11 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Nice one Ruth.

• How did you feel at the end of the run? If you felt ok, don't be limited by the podcast timing, just go a bit longer and see how you do.

• I think I somehow want to be limited. I do get to the end and feel completely spent, the last 5mins or so always pretty difficult. But I think a lot of this is psychological too. Perhaps I should make myself overrun at the end next time, see how bad it actually feels... Maybe wont be that bad at all?

• I think you'll surprise yourself, Ruth. Try easing the pace back a bit - there's a magic pace that's much easier to maintain. Try not to think about a specific time to run to - take it bit by bit, run to a distance.

• You're making sense, but I do like the podcasts... Perhaps I should just go straight for 5k, however long it takes...

• Wouldn't be the worst idea, Ruth. I've found I really like running with my ears free!

• Well done, Ruth. Sounds like it was a good one :)

• Thanks GLudwig. It feels good to just have the familiarity of the podcasts running in the background again.

• Sounds good! Do you find sticking with Laura helps post grad or are you using your own music? I'm looking to build up slowly like you're doing. Good luck :)

• Ive yet to sort out my own music but I will try to do this soon. I like the encouragement that Laura gives, like saying 'dont exhaust yourself' 'youre halfway through, doing really well'. Guess I'm quite needy still, yet to mature into a more self-reliant type of runner ๐Ÿ˜Š also enjoying feeling like I'm still aiming towards a goal, if a modest one. Hope you get on well with building up slowly too

• I think I'm with you on that :) I'm sticking with Laura for a while to get further in the 30 minutes, still a way off 5k which is fine but I want to improve. Running 3 x week for 30 minutes is STILL a big deal for me and I want to enjoy it more now, you know, "think I'll just nip for a run" is a wonderful feeling, only 3 months ago I was firmly on the couch!

You may also like...