To run 5k -----

you have to run 10K!

I read that somewhere but didn't understand it.

This past week I ran 10K for the second time in my life (run /walk 2mins/1min) in a time not much slower than the pace that I run 5Ks ( 7min22secs per K ) BUT, before when I did run 5Ks at Parkrun, I felt like it was my limit. Now, somewhere deep inside my brain workings, I can somehow start to understand what the writer was saying -- when you get to 5ks and realise that you are only half way -- all of a sudden, 5ks does not seem to be so far to run!!! :) I think that this realisation will allow me to up my 5K pace a little.

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am currently re-thinking my attitude to running longer distances in favour of 5ks. I can run longer, slower but maybe that has resulted in my now crocked state. Too far too soon maybe

Had I got more 5ks under my belt, and built up my speed at those before embarking on 10ks, I might have saved my legs a bit and built them up strengthwise before embarking on the longer slog

I think a slow 10 k is easier for me than a quick 5k so I took the route of least resistance

Being stuck at home with concrete legs I now have time to reflect on this. I think the important thing to remember in all this is to take your time and not be in too big a hurry to move on to longer distances until your body is strong enough to keep up. Speaking as an older,new runner, I would say this is vital if you want to stay injury free

Take care Baz

• Oh yes - I do take things easy. I have now run quite a few 5K runs - but have to lengthen my runs now to train for a 14K "race" in 8 weeks time. I have a pace in mind that is quite conservative -- but the most important thing is to finish the race. I have enough weeks between now and then to do a run a couple of times for each 1Klm increase over 10K. . I have already done 10ks twice - but I am going to do it again next week in some hilly country before I move on to 11K's :)

It's just that I think I can now see what the writer was saying in that increased distance ( at a slow pace) helps to improve the pace for a shorter 5K run. This is not necessarily something that I am seeking -- but it will be interesting to see if it does actually happen.

I have to say though that I can feel the added impact and strain on my legs caused by running these longer distances -- but it is more just a matter of tiredness and slight muscle soreness, no sign of anything like serious injury though

• I had started training for a 10 mile Baz which meant an extra run per week. I think this has been my problem.

As an old biddy, it's not allowed mybody to recover and so I'm now so sore I can hardly walk.

I know what you mean about running 10k to do 5k but we are older so have to be that much more careful. I certainly will be from here on in - if I ever get my running shoes back on that is

My BUPA intermediate plan looks fine on paper. Ha! Over the page to the beginner's one for me

• I agree. It wasn't until I conquered the 10K barrier that 5K became a very do'able and "easy" distance. That said, I find 5K incredibly hard to complete when I'm doing a parkrun but when it's one of my weekly runs I breeze thorugh it.

Just goes to show....running? It's all "up there" (taps head!)

• Do you have "pacers" at your local Parkrun? -- I have found these to be the "secret" of "success" there.

You may also like...