Frustration... osteoarthritis?

I'm (ahem) 50-something (early fifties). Four weeks ago I sterted this progam and was thoroughly enjoying it. Week one went well. Week 2? My knees hurt more each time time and the final time just painful so I stopped. I've continued walking only and stretching. I've also started a glucosamine/chondroitin and gelatin routine. My knees felt better the last few days so I tried just a little light jog today. No go. My knees hurt again. So I walked only to make up the thirty-minute workout.

The pain (if I'm sitting in a chair, feet on the floor) is on the inside of each knee. About 1:30 for the left knee and about 10:30 for the right knee. Just below my kneecaps.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. I've registered for a 5k run in October, and I sure would like to be able to run it.

14 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hi Juniperlake - so sorry to hear that your knees are giving you so much trouble. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and ankles but my left knee is the worst. I had key hole surgery on it and now it will not straighten properly and it does like to lock up on me from time to time. I thought I was taking a risk doing C25K so kept it a secret from my partner for a couple of weeks until I knew that I could hack it. I have found that as time has gone on that my knees have really improved, to the point yesterday W5 I ran with very little pain. I think the programme builds up your leg muscles to take more of the strain on the knee caps. I always leave a good three days between runs to allow any inflammation to settle down, take ibuprofen straight after the run, and apply a frozen pack of peas to the knee. Then I have a hot bath. I also am an advocate of Condroitin and Glucosamine, if I don't take it or run out of tablets then I know all about it! Don't give up, perhaps give yourself more time to complete the weeks and jog very slowly. Wishing you well :-)

• lottidog, please can you give me a link to Condroitin and Glucosamine plus dosages I need please

• I've started a glucosamine/chondroitin combination. The capsules contain 500 mg glucosamine and 400 mg chondroitin. I take one capsule three times a day (according to bottle directions). It takes at least a month to see results if you're going to. So, I know I've got a ways to go there.

• thanks so much

• Thanks for the encouragement. I don't plan to give up yet. I'll keep going slowly and wait for the glucosamine/chondroitin to kick in. Hopefully, sooner than later.

I'm happy to hear you've had a generally positive experience and that you're still running with little pain. That's great. There may be hope for me yet! ;-)

Thanks for responding. Best of luck!

• I have been exactly the same, week 1 was great, then R3 of W2 the knees started complaining, I was told it would get better but in meantime rest the legs, get a knee support ( Β£1 each from pound store, every bit as good as the expensive ones ) take ibuprofen and a pain killer, use ice bags and when you do try again, very gentle jogs, so as you can hardly tell your jogging ( I look like a sedated slug, thats how slow I am ) oh, and stretch afterwards. So, I did as I was told and my last run , W3 of R3 was no better, then today I went out, thought shall I do W3 R3 again or carry on with week 4, so did week 4, and lo and behold it was a great run, everything felt fine, I didnt feel awkward, just ok somehow. Plus I was running against the wind. So I do believe it wear and tear needing TLC. We are not a young as we were so poor knees get scared, I am 67, never run in my life, thought I wouldnt get over this painful knee period, but I have, oh, and I got a 5k in July, Good luck, dont give up, and remeber gentle jogs x

• "Sedated slug!" Yep! I know what you mean. That was me today trying to run. :-) I'm not going to give. I just have to restart... slowly... and trust that all will go well soon. Thanks for responding.

• Might want o get a referral to a physio for a) a proper diagnosis

b) some expert advice

C) some strengthening exercises if appropriate

You don't want to be doing any permanent damage. Good luck!

• Excellent points. If things don't improve soon, I think I will look into your suggestions. No point living with pain. Thanks for taking a moment to comment.

• Have you got the correct footwear ? Because I had bad knees in the early days , I was wearing old worn out trainers , went to sweatshop had a gait analyst done purchased trainers for slight over pronating , after 2 runs , no knee pain it went & has never returned ( touch wood ) hope your soon pain free .

• Hi. Sorry for the delay in responding. I think I have good footwear. I didn't do gait analysis, but I didn't invest in two pair of really good running shoes. Perhaps my problems were exacerbated by running in older runners for the first week. Never again!

• I have moderate osteoarthritis in both knees. I asked my gp to refer me to a podiatrist who fitted me for insoles. I take it very gently but have been able to complete the programme. Anyway best get it checked.

• Hi. Sorry for the delay in responding. See my response to Rockette (and below).

• Hi everyone. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

UPDATE: I restarted the program on Monday at W1R1. I made the first four running intervals and my knees began to hurt a little. I finished the 1/2 hour walking only. I walked yesterday for a half hour. Today, I did W1R1 and ran all eight running intervals! Yay! No pain!

You may also like...