Anybody else feel peckish while running?

Hi all, I started my longer runs a couple of weeks ago, combining two long runs and a 5k one for speed. Although I now take a drink with me sometimes I feel a bit peckish - maybe a bit of a sugar boost needed. I just wondered if anybody else does and what do you eat? Also do garmin watches record your distance and time? I am beginning to wonder if mapmyrun is incorrect? It says I did 5.43km in 36.15 saying my pace is 6.40 mins/km. I know I an very red and dog tired but could `I really have improved from doing 5k in 38.5 mins down to 33 mins in 2 weeks?

Last edited by

9 Replies

• If you're running for less than an hour you shouldn't really need to eat anything. I like porridge for breakfast before a run, and then I run an hour to 90 minutes afterwards.

I made some no bake energy balls yesterday to eat just before setting off if my stomach is gurgling, or as a treat for when I've finished. They're only very small so won't do too much damage. I googled for a recipe and there are loads of them. Mine are made with porridge oats, toasted coconut, honey, nuts, choc chips, flaxseed etc. Lovely jubbly

• Thank you. I run up to 50 minutes at the moment but want increase incrementally to 10k. The energy balls sound like a great tip so will use those when running longer. I think I don't fuel enough before (worried about stitches). A bit of porridge may do me good too! 90 mins?? Now curious how you get to that stage and your training regime.. Respect! :)

• Only one way to find out for sure -- run with Parkrun! :)

• Thanks Bazza, I will. It is really frustrating not knowing exactly for gaging and progress :)

• Another "benefit" of Parkrun ( at least for me) is that I think it definitely does cause you to put more effort in!!!! I usually do each days C25K run with the attitude that just finishing is sufficient - and never finish a days run in too much of a sweat. BUT -- Parkrun is different , and I don't have a competitive bone in my body!!! :) Put in quite an effort this morning on a new course (different Parkrun to my normal) . This one has something different to my local -- a LONG hill in the middle that you have to get over twice. In spite of it all, I still finished strongly (showoff!!) and with a PB for Parkrun :)

• I feel hungry before a run, during a run, after a run..... Tee hee, which probably explains why I needed to start running in the first place!

• So funny!! Just listening to "running like a girl" on audiobooks, really good. I think we could all relate to her journey and her eating habit!!! off to have ice cream! :)

• 10k should take you about an hour, so you won't need to eat anything mid run.

• I would not have the energy or breath to eat on a run. If i eat within 2 hours prior to a run i get stitch so avoid it. Never really think about eating before, during or at least an hour afterwards until my digestive systems recovers from the run.

You may also like...