Anyone using an oxygen concentrator for exercise?

I just recently got a portable oxygen concentrator for use when I exercise, but it turns out the device has an alarm that goes off if it detects more than 35 breaths in a minute. That's obviously a problem as the whole point of getting on the treadmill is to get some heavy breathing in (with the oxygen to prevent my blood sats from dropping too low). After a few minutes this damn thing starts beeping on my back and it's quite annoying. I contacted the manufacturer and they tell me there's no way to disable the alarm. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? Any better options out there? Thanks in advance. --Bob

11 Replies

• Hi Bob: I have a concentrator but I have only used it for when I go for my walks as that is all I can do right now. Do you have Pulse or Continuous Flow? I currently have an Inogen One G3 but changing to a G2 as it is high continuous flow, doctors orders, haven't been told about any alarms. If you can change it to a company that doesn't have alarms I would do that. Sorry I can't be of more help but I will be asking my company about this.

• Does the G2 have pulse setting higher than setting 4?

• I have been told that the Inogen one G 2 portable concentrator goes up to 6 liters. It is pulse unit.

• It does go to 6 only pulse though. I have one traded my 3 in

• Use your in home continuous flow concentrator for exercise on treadmill not portable its works for me.

• What concentrator do you have that goes on your back? My Inogen One G3 has the ability to turn off alarms

• I've got an Easy Pulse POC from Precision Medical. I'm told it's the only one my insurance will pay for but I need to look into that. I see the Inogen One G3 on the web and it looks a little pricier but if it doesn't have that annoying alarm that's a big plus for exercising. I also have a home continuous flow concentrator but that thing's as big and bulky as a suitcase on wheels. Not really practical for bringing to the gym. <sigh> As if breathing wasn't hard enough already! Appreciate all the feedback! Looks like I've got some homework to do!

• Just looked up your portable concentrator and can tell you the battery lasts much longer with the INOGEN. I can finish a round of golf on 3 liters, however I only use it in cart in between shots. It comes with shoulder bag and you have to purchase backpack - $100. Checked & my DME company won't provide it. And yeah, home-based concentrator us only good for inhouse exercising. Even smaller ones on wheels don't work the well for even walking a track outside home. Good luck

• You all are opening my eyes to all sorts of equipment I didn't even know existed. I have a smaller concentrator when I'm out and has intermittent flow .I generally keep it on 2 liters.and picked up my back pack for less than a dollar at a Hospice Thrift fact I have an extra one.Hope this helps You

• I exercise with a home concentrator but Will use my nasal cannula only when I m extremely short of breath.Must be something new I've never seen one like yours

• I'm starting to use my portable concentrator around the house whenever I'm doing anything strenuous. Unfortunately my definition of "strenuous" has gotten a lot broader over the past few years. Making the damn bed, drying myself off after a shower, things I used to take for granted, now I'm huffing and puffing like I've just run an Olympic event! It sucks but what can I do? Gotta just keep living. Fortunately my two favorite pastimes, piano and writing, are nice, sedentary activities. (Although I gotta say I might be using oxygen soon to play Beethoven. He did not write wimpy music.)

I brought my big, suitcase-sized concentrator to work, where it fits unobtrusively under my desk. Don't need it too often but every once in awhile I'll have a bad day and it helps to have a little snort of O2. I'm fortunate to have my own office so I can close the door when I do. The portable unit I'm still using to exercise, but I think I'm going to be able to get my doctor to write me a prescription for a nice, quiet two-hour oxygen tank so I can go to the gym again without that damn alarm beeping all the time. I call enough attention to myself with that damn cannula. Don't need that alarm going off too!

You may also like...