Colostomy pain when bowel movement

Need advice help

I have just recently had a colostomy 4 weeks ago I am in a lot of pain every time the bag fills, the pain is like a fist inside being pushed up through my stoma it feels like something is stopping it.

Been back to the hospital had a x-ray and CT scan to show if there are any bowel restrictions but they said nothing is showing up, I am seeing my surgical doctor again on Saturday, but the pain is still very severe

The reason for having the stoma this because I have crones disease and crone The reason for having the stoma this because and I have crones disease and perennial crohns which I have a fistula and the Seton in place and have had it for the last four years I have also got a abscess which is been packed every day

I also went blind 6 years ago

I have been on numerous medications but I don't seem to respond well I was on infliximab and ended up with sepsis and rushed into Resus in June

If anyone has gone through this similar pain it would be great I could hear from you

Thanks mscho

6 Replies

• Hi .

Christine here .

I too have crowns disease will fistulaes and see tons .

4 years ago I had a panproctocolectomy . It took me 4 months to recover .

Are you managing to eat properly? And if so have you looked at the foods you are eating and making sure you chew your food .

Sounds daft I know .

good luck at the hospital xxx

• Hi

I am really conscious about foods to eat and not to eat I've kept to a strict diet with advice from stoma nurse and I am chewing like 25 times as recommended with any meat

The stoma nurse says I'm doing everything right my husband has looked up the foods that could cause issues

I am also drinking water regular

Thanks for replying

• I have an illeostomy so cannot be of much help with regards to a colostomy, but just wanted to wish you well and hope you manage to get things sorted.

Mandy, xx

• Thank you millie

• I'm afraid I can't be of much help I had ileostomy,but three years passed up and I still suffer with chronic pain it seems to be the luck of the draw I wish you well on your recovery

• Thank you Patrick