Food borne illnesses can make us extremely ill and can cause permanent organ damage, even death in healthy people, so with our compromised immune systems, particularly if we are neutropenic, food hygiene is highly important. Here are the facts behind some common food handling myths:
1) You can thaw and refreeze meat
2) It is not a good idea to wash meats and poultry when preparing for cooking
3) It’s not OK to leave perishable food out for an extended time or overnight before putting it in the fridge
4) If it smells OK, then it’s not necessarily OK to eat
5) Adding oil to foods will not necessarily kill bugs lurking in your food
Cathy Moir, Team leader, Microbial and chemical sciences, Food microbiologist and food safety specialist, CSIRO goes into more detail, busting the myths behind the above facts here: theconversation.com/you-can...
Healthy eating everyone!
Photo: Dandelion tea anyone? Dew drops on a dandelion flower bud.