Has Anyone been refused transplant

Hello Again,

My dad is due to go for his referral to Kings shortly, I was wondering if anyone has been refused transplant for any other reasons apart from Cancer? I am sure that I am worrying without need but I also wondered if there is any appeal system which would work? I understand that most appeals are heard at Kings anyway as they take on the harder operations?

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi unfortunately yes my husband was told his age and that because he has O level group blood by the time he would get one he would be to old to go through the op being 72 just he is at a stage with ascites where he could be looking to get one but it is not going to happen so we plod on hoping for new trials to come up. But there are a lot of people who are getting them and hopefully your dad will be lucky I wish you all the best for the future and all goes well. If there is anyone out there been in the situation as us would love to hear from you.

• Having cancer is not a reason for being refused a transplant although it does depend on the size of the tumour. Other reasons, however, include continued alcohol usage, capacity to withstand operation, other health conditions that would impact on survival. All transplant centres work to nationally agreed criteria, as far as I know. Not sure about appeals - not heard or read about them.

• Hi, if you do not agree with the decision following the assessment you are entitled to a second opinion from another Liver Unit, kind regards

• Hi, I wasn't technically refused per say, but after the first assessment I was told my heart wouldn't be strong enough to go through the operation. I then agreed to a procedure to try and strengthen my heart and some blood for the anemia. Second time round with (I was an inpatient throughout) I did well enough to go on the list, although they got close to suspending me from it when I got an infection.. But that turned out to be an infection in the liver. I know they can refuse due to age or being too ill (if illness not to do with liver) , but there are second chances and I saw it with other people whilst I was in hospital (I was in hospital for 7/8 months) good luck for your father xx

You may also like...