Any guidance appreciated

Hi. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 years ago and apparently I have had raised liver enzyme reading for the last 9 years (don't know what the readings are). About 2 years ago I was sent for an mri scan which said I had an enlarged fatty liver. Last winter I felt tired and a bit under the weather particularly after a long day or physical activity. The symptoms persisted for about 4 months and then went away without medical intervention. I have taken medication for high blood pressure for many years but have never been prescribed anything for diabetes (diet controlled). This winter my symptoms returned a bit more severe. I have had blood tests which show increased iron (about 15% above normal). I am still feeling rough but have had no treatment and have simply been advised to make 'lifestyle changes'. I am not greatly overweight (6 ft 2 and 14 stone). Although I have enjoyed a drink in the past I never drink spirit and may drink 3-5 pints in an evening once a week. A bit more at Christmas but nothing greatly excessive. I seem to be left in limbo. Although the GP wrote to the hospital heptologist for advice about a month ago he hasn't replied . Any suggestions?

2 Replies

• See your GP and ask for serum ferritin and transferrin saturation tests. You may have haemochromatosis or iron overload as you show a number of symptoms. If so, treatment is easy (you give blood) and can avoid more serious outcomes. For more information on haemochromatosis, see

• Nag the GP for your referral! The Christmas holidays do slow things down like paperwork for referrals, but no harm in chasing it up.

You may also like...