Bridge to 10K
8,003 members9,758 posts

Parkrun with virtual running buddies

I wasn’t going to post today but I thought you’d be interested to know that back in June, Marvo69 came up with the idea of a virtual Parkrun for some of the June graduates and a few of us May graduates gate crashed the party. The said Parkrun was today and we ran all around the country and posted on a Facebook page he had created (a steep learning curve for me). Thanks Marvo, it was so nice to run with you all.

I turned up for my 11th parkrun, the 9th in Southsea and had a lovely time. Lots of families there today, so it was a bit of a slow start but then ran at my pace. After 2k I started chatting to another lady runner about running clubs in Portsmouth, her 25 years of running and how she’s now doing triathlons, and I told her all about c25k and the forum. and the distance sort of disappeared. I forgot about times and just went at her pace until the 4k point when I said farewell and gave it a bit more of a push. My 1st 4k was a steady average pace of 7:02, but the 5th was 6:47. Official Parkrun time 35:23 and my watch 35:08. I’m very happy with that as I know that I would have been faster if I had not been talking so much, but that’s the nice thing about parkrun! It’s a run not a race. The 1st woman in my age category was just 40 secs ahead .

UpTheStanley was showing off his 50th run shirt which arrived this week

Well done to everyone else parkrunning today, especially those who did it for the first time.

18 Replies
oldestnewest

First timer here and the experience was fabulous! Met some nice fellas who thought it was funny I was running backwards uphill! I was looking for my OH after sprinting off to complete some intervals per my HM plan.

Great atmosphere and hope you go back soon. The main reason I haven't managed to date and weekly Parkrun is not possible is that we need a babysitter and Sat morning is not a good time for those!

Loved the virtual run as it was brilliant knowing that all the names you have gotten to know from the forum were doing the same thing at precisely the same time!

Good to watch the results/ reports roll in too!

Massive thanks to Matt ( Marvo69 ) for having the vision 🤗🤗🤗

😁

5 likes

It was a bit confusing for a bear of little brain (me) to match real names to forum names though 🤪

3 likes

I loved the idea of us all running, all around the country!

You can't do this without VRBs !!

2 likes

Looks lovely and sunny there today, Eileen! 😎 And that 50 T shirt of UpTheStanley’s does look cool! Not sure I’ll ever be able to chat while running - I’m impressed! 😃🏃‍♀️❤️

Just been trying to decide what tambourine to order for volunteering in a couple of weeks. (We do our 10K fun run on the Sunday, so I’m not running Parkrun too. OH says he is, though. Why am I not surprised...🙄❤️😂)

2 likes

The south easterly was cool but yes I had caught the sun when I got home. Chatting did slow me a little but it made the time go much quicker and the gremlins couldn’t get a word in 😂. I couldn’t chat and do hills like you though.

I was surprised how cheap tambourines were on the internet. I was going to buy one until I saw that it was made with pig skin and I thought it might offend the vegan runners.

Stanley is very proud of his new shirt. Your OH has certainly got the bit between his teeth now hasn’t he?

1 like

He certainly has - sub 21 min PR for him yesterday! 😳❤️

Wow, that’s faster than Stanley. No wonder you don’t run with him at Parkrun 🏃‍♂️...................🏃‍♀️

1 like

He just keeps getting quicker and quicker! 😂😂

1 like

❤️ It was a great idea

4 likes

Well done Dexy,what a great run and time. Yes I was a little sad not been a part of or virtual park run but have an 11k to attempt in the morning. Really good reading the reports coming in though and hopefully we might all end up at the same park run one day. But any way, well done to you:) :)

3 likes

Thanks Lorijay, when this was organised by Marvo we didn’t realise that many of you would be running 10/11k by now. Good luck with 11k today 🍀

1 like

Next time Lori 👍

1 like

Next time!! Good luck with your run! 👍🏃🏃Xx

1 like

It was a great idea...Thanks Marvo69 🙂👍

2 likes

Glad you enjoyed!! 😍

2 likes

Didn't we all do well!!

2 likes

Fantastic Dexy!! Looks like a brilliant pace to me and that’s with having a chat! Well done!! 😁😁❤️

1 like

Thanks Fabulous .

1 like

You may also like...