I set off this morning on a 10K with a view to seeing if I could beat my PB of 54'42 achieved last March. I didn't manage a faster time - but I did end up with my 2nd best time for this distance.

I've had a bit of a back strain lately owing to my orthotics in my shoes wearing out. Stupidly I continued to run despite me realising that I got back pain after every bloody outing! It was time to order new ones, which is a decision I didn't take lightly owing to the immense cost of the bloody things. £70 flew out of my wallet and into my podiatrists pocket before I could say "Jeeez howwww much???"!! It was a couple of days later that I coughed violently and put my back out!! Seriously. I was driving and I made a rude comment about one of our neighbours which made Mrs Dan scold me. I laughed which then turned into a cough, then a louder cough then a "AAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!" cough. My back went into spasm and I was in agony. However a bit of time out, neurofen sandwiches and vodka seemed to calm the pain down and in ten days I was back out there running.

I started off with a 5K just to see how my back would hold out. That was fine. Then I did an 8K a couple of days later which I really really enjoyed! The sun was shining, the sky was blue, I had some new orthotics in my shoes! BLOODY POETRY BABY!!

Today though, I had planned a long run. I wanted to do a long one. I hadn't done 10K for about 9 weeks and my times for 8K were good, so I calculated that I could manage a PB if I timed it right. I set off wearing two tops cos it was chilly, my lycra running tights and my newly loaded Asics Nimbus shoes! The first K was lightening fast for me - 5'14. However, it was my fastest of the lot in the end, as each K got progressively slower as I went on. By 5K I was pretty knackered and took a walk break to get my heart rate down. With Gertie Garmin on "pause", I took the necessary time to get my head together. My time for 5K was 28'06 so i told myself if I kept a strong pace for the next 5, I might.....just might.....get a PB. The annoying this is that my PB achieved last march was a continuous run at the "Richmond Riverside 10K" event. How the hell I finished in the time I did, I do not know. All I remember is the field taking off at the start like rampant bulls! I kept up with them and by pure "drag" i was carried along with the throng. Today was different. I was alone. No cheering crowds. No fellow runners to try and "beat" - just lil ol' me!

I was ready for the next 5K and I took off fast. The sixth K was 5'19 but again that was going to the fastest of this 2nd half of the run. The next K's came in at 5'30, 5'35, 5'40. When the last K beeped on my garmin I said "Come on Dan my son! You HAVE to put your foot down for the final wallop!"

I ran as hard as I could, but with 500 metres to go I felt just sooooo tired. So unbelievably knackered. I'd put such a huge effort into this run and I felt deep down that my PB from March was going to remain. The last K beeped at 5'22 but it wasn't enough.

The final time - 55'34. Stupidly, for about a second I felt disappointed! Ridiculous, considering in March 2013 I couldn't run 60 SECS without screaming for an ambulance. So I am happy with this time as it's only about 50 seconds short of a PB. The pic was taken just after getting in the door and announcing to Mrs Dan that she was married to a running God!

Thanks for reading folks. Have a great week and run like the wind!!

Yer pal


7 Replies

  • Yep - you must feel like a running god! Especially so soon after struggling with your back. Well done. A glass of celebratory red this evening?

  • You know me too well!!

  • I was having one post santa run so now i can have another one to toast you too ☺

  • Brilliant, well done that is So fast... In my dreams...

  • You still did good Dan the Man :)

  • Nimbus and orthotics - perfect combination! :-)

  • Looking very nimble there, well done Mr D! xx

You may also like...