British Heart Foundation
9,692 members โ€ข 5,869 posts

Bag packed and all ready to go

Hi all bag is packed and ready to go tomorrow for admission to hospital for my OHS...been keeping busy and plenty of exercise leading up. Just to get an echocardiogram tomorrow lunchtime then get settled for surgery on Tuesday ๐Ÿ˜ฎ.

Keep everything crossed and will update in a few days when I'm out ICU

๐Ÿ‘

64 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

The best of British to you! I'm sure the operation will be a success and this time next week you'll be back home again.

2 likes

Thank you ๐Ÿ‘ In for 7-10 days but will be doing my best to get out as soon as they see fit

Wishing you lots of luck tomorrow everything will be fine am sure you will be home in no time take care

X

2 likes

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ x

Couple of tips I received from a very experienced nurse that stood me in good stead.

First, every time a nurse offers you a painkiller then take it. They're not passing them out like sweeties, they've offered you one for a reason.

Two, get on top of your breathing exercises as soon as you can following the operation. Your lungs take a battering during open heart surgery, with lots of areas of micro collapse. How quickly you re-inflate your lungs and recover your breathing capacity will pretty much determine how quickly you feel that you're recovering and making progress. So focus on breathing exercises and then move on to standing up and taking a few steps.

Incidentally, this document from Guys & St Thomas's Hospital is used by quite a few hospitals as a guide for heart surgery patients as to what to expect, it's well worth a read.

guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/reso...

4 likes

Brilliant thank you ๐Ÿ‘ Yeah my pal works at the hospital I'm going to and he said the same about pain relief.He can't stress enough if I'm in pain not to hesitate to ask for help.

Good to know about the breathing. Meet with the physio team before admission tomorrow.

Got an information pack but will download this and give it a good read

Thank you again very much appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Definitely do the breathing exercises! Quite a few at rehab admitted they had not really followed it up, and they struggled when we did them and had more breastbone pain. Not doing them probably increases the risk of fluid on the lungs.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

I wouldn't even know where my bag is, let alone have it packed already.

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

1 like

Lol Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

1 like

All the best for your surgery. I totally agree with the advice about the painkillers, if youโ€™re in pain you wonโ€™t do your breathing exercises or the walking. Also take earplugs with you, itโ€™s very noisy in hospital! Just remember to tell the nurses for when they wake you up to do your obs!!!

Wendy

2 likes

Thanks Wendy earplugs are packed. Was in hospital last summer and checked out early because of a lack of sleep and oramorph not working but can't go anywhere this time so I'll be well on top of the pain killers

1 like

Good luck ๐Ÿ‘

1 like

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck Markyboy

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope it all goes well later today and in the morning with no delays/cancellations. Stop for a coffee and a tasty light bite on the way in. Most hospital food doesn't score highly in my experience. Good luck!

1 like

Thanks Michael hopefully I'm first on the list tomorrow and it's over and done with and no hanging about ๐Ÿคž

Good luck x

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck, and wishing you a very speedy recovery!

1 like

Thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

All the best Mark

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

1 like

Best wishes to you and I also strongly reccomend breathing exercises...and when you start walking around try to walk as fast as your body will allow without struggling.

This will also helps your lungs.

I am saying that as I had to have my lungs drained for not strictly following the advises in the breathing and underestimating the importance of getting your lungs back to normal

Stay positive and keep us update

1 like

Thank you yeah I mind you saying I'm a previous post you had problems after surgery. Keeping everyone's tips in mind regarding the breathing ๐Ÿ’™

Yeah will post in a few days when I'm able thanks again x

1 like

Good luck and get your family to bring some tasty (healthy of course! ) snacks in post-op.

Thank you I'll try but told my boy to bring in something nice when I'm allowed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good morning,

Good luck and seeing your pic takes me back to August when I had my CABGx4.

It still seems almost like a dream sequence that this actually happened to me.

I think,as many people say on here, positivity is the key. I look back now at those first few tentative steps around the garden and thought, will I ever get there.

Iโ€™ve just returned from a 12 night trip to Vietnam with lots of adventures including cave walking with a sign at the entrance saying โ€˜donโ€™t undertake this if you have cardiovascular diseaseโ€™. Well I ignored that as I donโ€™t think I have now as Iโ€™ve been โ€˜fixedโ€™.

Heart surgeons make miracles happen these days and youโ€™ll be one of them.

Likyrosy

Wow sounds like a great trip and you're right it doesn't sound and feel like its happening to me. This time 2 years ago I wasn't aware of any issues apart from being diabetic and now this.

Taking everyone's comments and advice seriously and hopefully will be back to full health in a few months ๐Ÿคž

Thank you again ๐Ÿ™‚

1 like

Sorry forgot you were diabetic. Immediately post op your BGs will be all over the place. I was put on a sliding scale and felt better when I came off it and got better control.

Last thing I need as well is bad control of my BG...levels have been great as well but it's out my hands now I suppose ๐Ÿคž

All the very best Markyboy. You'll be fine.

The breathing exercises and nursing staff's persistence to get you to cough is well worth it.

Before you know it you'll be strolling up and down the hospital corridors.

Please keep us posted xxxx

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ yeah been in this hospital a few times now and the nurses are brilliant.

Yeah will update when I get a chance in a few days x

Good luck with the OHS. Good point earlier about the earphones. I used silicone ones they blocked out every thing. I forgot to tell the nurse who couldn't wake me up for my meds. She thought I was unresponsive and the next thing I knew the crash team were in my room!! I was popular but all saw the funny side after๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Lol yeah I have buds with me but the foam ones. I wear a hearing aid so need to mind the one way so I can hear what's going on ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sending big hugs and positive thoughts. Focus on how you will be in a few weeks time and stay positive. Take care. Zena x

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ x

1 like

good luck and a speedy recovery - hope you get back home quick - I think it does help you once you are home

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck Markyboy :)

Cheers Phil

Good luck and speedy recovery

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Best wishes. Hope all goes well.

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck...look fwd to hearing how it goes and how your feeling...take care

1 like

All the very best to you and your loved ones. X

1 like

Best of luck. Hope all goes well & wish you a swift recovery. Clare

1 like

Thanks Clare ๐Ÿ™‚

Best wishes, hope all goes well

1 like

All the best! Your in great hands and itโ€™s really not as bad as you think! Listen to your body and take those painkillers x ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

I hope all went well and best wishes! Stuart

1 like

All the best mate!!

1 like

Thanks everyone second on the list tomorrow and at risk of cancellation ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ Not getting my hope up now

Hope all has gone to plan for you x

1 like

Thank you ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž x

1 like

Good luck, hope all has gone well. Gentle hugs X Rie

1 like

All the best hope everything goes well, Iโ€™m sure it will do

1 like

Thanks everyone anxious wait to see if I'm actually getting surgery today ๐Ÿ™ had my shower and in my gown now clock watching

All the best mate, pray that all goes well for you.

You may also like...