I had a successful ablation in March 2014, with trouble free recovery and lived a "normal" life until Jan 2015 - in A/E and admitted. They tried various drugs etc then flecainide 200mg which took 13hrs to work. was given flecainide as PIP but didn't need to use it. Scheduled 2nd ablation, which I had in May, but unable to cardiovert at end of procedure and tried to revert me with flecainide to no avail. I was brought in as a day case after a week and cardioverted then.
Taking Bisoprolol 5mg daily plus warfarin (for 3 month post procedure - & due an op on 28 Aug so coming off it 1 week prior)
Checked and was given go ahead to book holiday so a 14 night cruise around the Med starting Tuesday. Got good cruise insurance so all set up to go.
But recently, had more ectopics (which everyone has) but impending fear AF will kick in as some fast runs. Decided to check it out with my chest strap past couple days. Monitor shows almost every 90 mins yesterday from lunchtime to bed time I had fast runs up 235bp (my cardiologist once check my monitor against there monitor and was impressed it was so accurate. The thing is, my heart rate was 49bpm, my norm, then the heart symbol started flickering and I watched the beats rise to 133-235. Episodes last 2-4mins then dropped but I was asymptomatic. Taking pulse at wrist or neck, it felt strong & regular about 60bpm. When I felt flickering in my chest most times nothing showed on monitor, when I had fast runs didn't feel them. On the positive side, I seem to keep dropping back into NSR.
So there is some activity still going on - 2 weeks until 3 month mark but most times I would really know. I am just starting to get worried I may have a big A Fib attack on holiday and can't remember what they told me about flecainide. I have 2 separate 200mg doses which I will take with me but from past history it may take a while to work or not work.
How long would you sit it out in an afib attack? Will take me chest strap if any severe episodes, when there is never any doubt it is AF, I will know rate and how long it is lasting.
Don't want to be put ashore and lose much needed holiday (work full time, both parents bedridden and dementia - Dad cared for at home by me & carers, plus operation in late August). I have no trips booked, just looking forward to wandering around ports & some sunshine.
Am attending pre op assessment tomorrow so am sure an ECG will be done anyway.
Am hoping I don't need to use any advice/info given but would love some pearls of wisdom fro those who understand
Thank you for taking time to read & hopefully respond