After Lupron: I’m 86 and diagnosed with... - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer
10,535 members12,567 posts

After Lupron

Donnino
Donnino

I’m 86 and diagnosed with prostate cancer roughly a year ago with gleeson biopsy of 8 overall. Radiation recommended for 9 weeks. Did one week that wiped me out. Declined to continue. Alternative was Lupron which lasted 9 months. PSA dropped to zero. Lupron stopped. Hot flashes continue. Problem now is weight gain and back aches. Is that typical?

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Weight gain and joint pain is common with ADT.

Weight gain after ADT, the visceral fat type, about the middle goes back to normal, but losing the gain is hard. As to back pain, know the difference between muscle, joint and bone pain. If you think it is coming from a bone and not the joint, see Doctor and discuss a bone scan.

Nalakrats

Why did you stop Lupron? It is always continued even if one becomes castration resistant -- the cancer spreads more quickly without it. The pains in your back may be metastases.

Nothing is typical with Pca... See your oncologist...asap

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Friday 01/11/2019 10:09 AM EST

Echoing John and Allen - you can never assume that PC is really gone, D, if you want to live. - Joe M.

We each have different experiences with therapy. I was lucky and had 42 radiations with very little side effects. I was 63 years old. I started Lupron 3 years later when they found metastases and had 30 more radiations. I was tired and gained weight with the cold and hot flashes, but stuck with it. Now I am 73 years old, had Lupron (Eligard - generic) for 6 1/2 years. I no longer have cancer, it has been 9 months. I am on active surveillance and see the oncologist every 6 months. I hope you can find a therapy that works for you as well.

You may also like...