Women's Health
11,258 members1,348 posts

HRT for women in late 50s

I'm interested in hearing experiences of women around 59/60 years considering HRT and how easy it has been getting a GP to prescribe it and what their experience of taking it has been. This is because I am in this situation myself where I am thinking it might help with my health problems but would be nice to hear from others in a similar age group who have decided to try it.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, Corrine1: I am 70 and my doctor just prescribed HRT for me! I have been on it for 5-6 months now and the difference in how I feel is remarkable. I think doctors (some) are lightening-up on the skewed huge study that was done years ago and are realizing that women are suffering needlessly. I say go for it. It took me a while to find a doctor who would prescribe, though. I have been asking different doctors for YEARS and none of them would prescribe, so I finally found one who would. I take Estradiol/Norethindrone combo.

It's amazing that you've found it makes such a difference and I hope it continues to. Thanks for replying.

1 like

One of my directors used to call me his "pit bull" because once I latched onto something I would never let go, until the issue was solved. HAHA!!

I've also been told I'm like a 'dog with a bone' as I won't give up on an issue until it's resolved!!

1 like

Just wondering, what made you so sure it was hrt you needed and did you think about it earlier? Also what do you think of the health risks for older women taking it? Hope you don't mind me asking?😊

1 like

That's a good question! I guess because I felt so awful and depressed for so long? And finally thought to try it. Started to research stuff on the web and talked to my friends...the ones who were already on it. One friend, in particular, said she'd kill her doctor if he ever tried to take her off of it. That made me think it must be doing her some good. She's 69 and her doctor wants her to stop taking it now, but she won't do it, and he's not pushing her too hard. Anyway, that's what did it, I suppose.

You may also like...