Will the following holiday vaccinations effect my thyroid?

Hello everyone,

I wondered if someone could advise me as to whether any of these vaccinations would have a detrimental effect on my thyroid, I'm hypothyroid on currently taking 125mg.

I'm planning to head to Suriname in South America and have read online that I need the following;

Hepatitis A or immune globulin

Hepatitis B (which I had years ago so may need a booster)

Typhoid

Yellow fever

Rabis

May need malaria tablets depending on what part I go to.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received!

:)

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You might need to check further about yellow fever as it is a caution for people with auto immune or are immunocompromised. The others should be fine but it's always wise to check with your gp on your specific medical history. Happy travelling!!

• Hi nursery, thanks for your reply! I will look into yellow fever and get more info....my GP is less than useful unfortunately so I've been looking it up myself and this forum is always so helpful :)

Thanks again!

• I do lots of travel consultations in my job but it's always wise to check your individual needs. The 'fit for travel' website is a good source of info too. Your practice nurse will probably know more than the gp!!

• Maybe have a look here:

thehtd.org/Travelclinic.aspx

Rod

• Hi I went to Mexico a couple of years ago and had hepatitis A and B, Typhoid and YellowFever vaccinations. These were done with my GP. I never even thought to ask if they would affect me. (At the time taking 100 levo). But no side affects or anything and had the best holiday in a long time. But definitely check before you go ahead and have a good holiday.

• I'm afraid that the results of not having the vaccines, in other words getting any of those diseases whould be catastrophic. Unfotunately you need them.

You may also like...