Annual blood test

Well, went for the usual yearly bloods and after they had been drawn I asked for my blood pressure to be checked, Resulting in an immediate appointment with the doctor for stage 3 hypertension.

First question after looking at tubby old me, do you exercise much .... Sunday 5 miles off road mountain biking, Tuesday 30 lengths swimming, Thursday walking 1 mile.. ha!

With the knowledge gained from this site I was able to ask loads of questions, is high bp not a sign of under treated hypothyroidism, what my T3 like (never been checked) vit d levels etc.

So full range of bloods to be checked.

Thanks for giving me the confidence to speak up whereas before I have been too emotional to say anything and usually leave the docs in tears.

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That is really good to read.

No-one in their right minds would expect anyone not to be emotional talking to a doctor about their health issues like this. Especially with poor handling of the issues and bad previous experiences.

So very well done keeping sufficiently in control.

Rod

• Why were you only having an annual blood test? I have 3-6 monthly and always have had.

• Once we are deemed to have reached the 'appropriate' dose of thyroxine, and are therefore 'stabilised' , it is usual to only be tested once per year. My 'annual review' is due now, and my surgery will not allow me a new thyroid medication prescription until I get a blood test and see the doc. So, it's a two fold thing. They have to review any medication that is on 'repeat prescritpion' annually, and they also can claim a payment for checking your thyroid levels annually.

If however, you also have other health issues and are prescribed other medications, or are not deemed to yet be on a stable dose of thyroid medication, then more frequent testing is usual.

• Thanks was a little confused as both my daughter and I are checked more often and so was my Mum. We all have/had other health issues so probably explains this.

• I am glad you were able to defend your corner with the GP this time and hope all the results of the tests enable you to be properly treated to get well.

• Thanks guys,

initially I was tested more often then because my results came back " NORMAL" i have only been tested yearly for the past 3 years.

Will let you know how it goes.

• Well done, I hope you get answers :)

• Probably a good idea to have BP taken before a large needle is plunged into your arm???

• I don't mind needles doesn't bother me one bit certainly doesn't get me worked up.

• I do not know how you remember everything my mind goes blank when I get to see my GP

• Meki,

Mines usually does too, hence the leaving in tears, I got to see a different doc and the first thing she said was my levo was quite a low dose so I just took the opportunity from there.

• Well, it has taken all month, back and forward for bloods twice, blood pressure twice, today I came home to 2 messages from the doctors to phone them, I now have an appointment on Friday to discuss. It usually takes weeks to get a pre bookable appointment.

My blood pressure was 173/110 now down to 153/110 with additional medication.

The first results my thyroid levels were 1.67 which seems good and renal function normal.

Bit worried now.

You may also like...