I have just been for an annual vist to the local Endocrinolgy Dept. I was told the name of the consultant I was to see - I have never seen the same one twice - and duly had my 10 minutes.
So far so good. He asked how I was and when my reply was, "not good at all", had nothing to say except to state that my TSH was verging on suppressed (less than 1), and they could not just increase dosages willy-nilly because of the attendant risks. When I said that my GP was happy with my low TSH level because, as she told me sadly, she recognised that there was nothing more she could do for me, he looked a bit awkward. He took bloods, but did not tell me what would be tested.
Then he asked if I was ok on my current dosage of 75mg T4 and 40mcg T3 - any palpitations, etc, when I took it? He looked a little crestfallen when I assured him that I was simply fine on it, but still very far from being well enough to return to work. |
I pointed out that I had acquired other labels along the way - Fibromyalgia, CFS, Bipolar - and had attempted to follow the official advice of following a graded return to exercise together with a CBT-based course, only to have it back-fire so badly that I am only now, over a year later, starting to recover. He looked at the floor, the notes.
I then asked about what else there might be?
It was almost a case of light the blue touch paper and retire. He sat bolt upright and delivered a full-on lecture about the dangers of unregulated charlatans and scientifically unproven alternatives. That if I did choose to go that route, I was on my own, they would not sanction it or support me in any way. The sop he gave was that I would still be treated by NHS if I did return. By this time he had stood up and was showing me the door, "see you in a year's time, goodbye"
I am waiting to see a Dr in January, in Glasgow, and I am pinning my hopes on a trial of NDT. The Dr in question does not prescribe anything himself, it will be down to my GP to agree to work with him. And if the Endocrinologists writes to her stating what he has just said to me, then she will be in an untenable situation. She will have to refuse to help.
I suspect the January consultation will prove to be a costly waste of my time and money because the NHS will not allow me to try any alternative treatment.
I feel very despondent and have no idea where to turn if this indeed proves to be the case.
I suppose I should consider myself lucky to get any treatment at all.
Sorry if this comes across as a pity party, it really isn't meant to be - it is just hard to be faced with such a brick wall.