exhaustion after eating

Does any body know why eating makes my energy crash at midday? As soon as I've eaten lunch I just have to take to bed and sleep for the rest of the day. Eating makes me unbelievably exhausted. I can almost feel my heart slowing down, it feels like eating makes it struggle to keep going. My basal pulse is 59 - 60 at the moment and basal temperature is between 35.5 and 36.5 so my metabolism is very slow at the moment. I was only diagnosed two weeks ago with under active thyroid. Does anyone else have extreme exhaustion after eating?

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Something we take for granted like digestion of food, actually requires a lot of resources. When you're thyroid levels are wonky, energy management is a real problem in every respect.

It might help to eat low GI foods so that you don't get blood sugar surges. Low carbohydrate diets seem to work well for many hypOthyroid people, not only for weight loss but for energy levels too.

• It may be that it's not so much the eating that's making you exhausted but the time of day. You may have thyroid levels that are ok for the morning but not the afternoon (TSH levels change throughout the day). You might find things change as your TSH levels drop.

You may also like...