Thyroid UK
89,286 members103,783 posts

High Thyroglobulin Antibodies

Hi all

Im a 34 year old female with a TSH of 3.59 (blood test done in May 2018 by GP) Both my mother and brother have hypothyroidism and were diagnosed in their early thirties.

I have symptoms that strongly affect my daily life, the top 4 being the most problematic, which is making me miserable....

* Tired all the time

* Terrible anxiety

* I gain weight just by looking at food

* Brain fog

* Thinning hair

* Swallowing is sometimes uncomfortable

* Pins and needles

* Feel the cold

My GP wouldn't run any additional bloods as I don't meet the reference range of the labs, which he said was now 5? So no medication can be tried to see if I improve at all, as again, I'm not within the ranges.

I had private bloods done this week which showed normal TSH, T3 and T4.....but my thyoglobulin antibodies were elevated at 385 (should be 0-115)

What does this mean exactly? Is this why I have symptoms?

Any help would be much appreciated

Other results-

Free thyroxine - 16

Free T3: 4.03

Peroxidase antibodies: 19.3

19 Replies
oldestnewest

I am not an expert on here but those elevated antibodies mean that you have Hashimotos/ auto immune thyroid disease. Your thyroid is being attacked and so is struggling to produce sufficient thyroid hormone.

The advice given on here is to get your tsh below 1 to feel well and get your vitamins optimal, as well as ensuring your t3 is in the upper quarter of the range and your t4 half way. (I’m on he journey myself!)

You can always self treat with meds which again is something that people suggest on here using natural desiccated thyroid. See how you feel and monitor symptoms and pulse to ensure you’re not ivermediating yourself.

I hope that helps. I’m sure one of the wiser ones will respond shortly! X

1 like

Kate, we need the ranges for those results. Ranges vary from lab to lab, so you should always give them. Those antibodies actually don't look high at all. And your Frees look euthyroid. But without the ranges, we can't say for sure. Did you not have a TSH result?

Hi Greygoose

Here are the results with ranges:

TSH in May 2018 by GP: 3.59 (0.34 - 4.94)

TSH in July 2018 by Medichecks: 2.26 (0.27 - 4.2)

Free Thyroxine: 16 (12 - 22)

Free T3: 4.03 (3.10 - 6.80)

Thyroglobulin Antibody: 385 (0 - 115)

Peroxidase Antibody: 19.3 (0 - 34)

OK, so yes, you do have Hashi's. However, you're not likely to get any sort of diagnosis until your TSH goes at least over-range. Doctors know so little about thyroid that they are incapable of thinking outside the box, and putting two and two together - high antibodies + symptoms = need for thyroid hormone replacement! They know nothing about symptoms, either.

Your FT4 isn't too bad, although your FT3 is on the low side, but not low enough to alert a doctor to a problem. But, they are going to get worse as the disease progresses. So, you must keep an eye on levels and test regularly.

How much do you know about Hashi's? Have you tried taking selenium and adopting a gluten-free diet to see if they help you feel better?

When you had the Medichecks tests done, did you include nutrients : vit D, vit B12, folate, ferritin? If so, what were the results? You could very well have low nutrients, which would cause symptoms and make you feel bad.

Hi Greygoose

My GP also ran the below bloods in June 2018

Coeliac screen: 0.4 (0 - 7)

B12: 755 (187 - 883)

Serum Folate: 10.2 (3.1 - 20.5)

Ferritin: 165.3 (10 - 204)

I can't see a Vit D anywhere.

Yes I've had a read up on Hashis..... the glove seems to fit....thats for sure.

Well, they look good. But, it would be a good idea to get vit D tested. GPs often don't do it - or the lab refuses to do it on the grounds that everyone in the UK is low in vit D!

So, all I can suggest apart from that, is keeping an eye on your levels, try gluten-free to see if it helps (Hashi's people are often gluten-sensitive, even if they don't have Coeliac) and try taking the following nutrients :

selenium

vit C

zinc

magnesium

You could easily be deficient in any of those, especially magnesium. And vit C is good for so many things, and is water soluble, so you can take quite high doses without over-dosing. :)

1 like

Thank you...... I'm on it 💪🙂

You're welcome. But, don't start all those supplements at the same time. Leave about two weeks in between trying each one. :)

1 like

This happened to me for about 15 years ..the reference range went up to 10 then so even with a tsh of nearly 9 and private tests showing antibodies my gp refused medication. In the end I paid for a private endo from Salford Hospital. She was brilliant and was very annoyed that I hadn’t had medication as you should have it with Hashimotos. She said she hoped it hadn’t affected my heart which unfortunately it looks like it has. I’m with Healthshield and get 80% back of what I pay so my private endo cost £72 in the end.

1 like

Hi Ireness

Thank you for sharing that. I'm sorry to hear of your struggle and that it has affected your heart.

Do you think I should see a private Endo? Or would I not benefit at this stage?

My symptoms are making me miserable.

I wished I’d gone to see a private endo right at the beginning. It would have saved years of feeling dreadful. Even now I’ll have to see her again as GP doesn’t even test for everything they should. She said there’s no point testing T3 as she can’t prescribe it. When I went to private endo I took the results of private tests with me so only needed one consultation. She wrote to my GP and advised treatment (which the GP has ignored). You’re wasting your time seeing GP’s ..they haven’t got a clue

Thank you. Yes my GP isn't interested.

I will go and see a private endo

Hiya kate, your in the same boat as me, very similar test results but still no help whatsoever! Have you had your cholesterol checked too? Mine was just over the high range but still docs wont link everything together with hashimotos

Hi Joeblo

I'm sorry to hear that your going through this too.

I see a private Endo tomorrow. Apparently he doesn't work to reference ranges etc.....he works to your symptoms and his expertise.

I will let you know how I get on.

Hi All

So I've just seen a private Endo. What can I say?!

He wrote off my elevated antibodies.....and said they mean nothing.

He said nothing is wrong.

Feeling extremely gutted

Also....my basal temperature is 35 this morning.....

But.....I just feel it's pointless trying to get help.

:-(

Hello Kate_1984,

Just wondered if you've gotten any help or diagnosis yet? I'm in same shoes as you, with mostly normal thyroid levels but elevated thyroglobulin antibody. Completely at a loss as to how to proceed. Fatigue has gotten so bad I can't get through the day without a good bit of lying down. Feeling desperate to figure something out.

Hi Silverdrops,

I started taking iodine (iodoral 12.5 twice a day). Read the book 'The Iodine Crisis' if you can.

Within just 2 weeks.....(im still amazed) im back to how i was years ago. Im still absorbing the fact that this simple supplement has put me right.

I did get insomnia for a week or two....but i feel amazing. My anxiety....depression, fatige and weight gain.....all rectified.

Hope this helps x

Ps.... my DR has no idea.....i will be telling them at my next bloods. Will be interesting to see them now im feeling normal again x

You may also like...