Selenium

Good morning All,

Please could you give me some advice?

I have Autoimmune Hashimotos and have been taking Levothyroxine 75mg per day since July 2017. I also take Vitimin D 800iu per day, B complex and Vit K-MK7. I had been taking Selenium but decided to stop on 23 September as I had read that you should not take it all the time.

on 7 September my thyroid blood results were:

TSH 1.53 (0.27-4.20)

FT4 18.7 (12-22)

and on 6 October my thyroid blood results were:

TSH 2.56 (0.27-4.20)

FT4 19 (12-22)

For the first time in ages I was feeling great around the time my TSH was 1.53, then I started to feel sluggish again. I am wondering if it has anything to do with stopping taking Selenium.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Anne

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Selenium is required for the conversion of T4 to T3.

Usually, a dose of 75-100 mcg is safe to have on a daily basis and to reduce Hashimoto's antibodies, a dose of 200 mcg is required.

Vitamin D is also needed for the conversion and a dose of 800 iu daily is on the low side to make a difference whether for addressing a deficiency or for maintenance.

Your T4 levels are optimal but the TSH level is a bit high which is indicative of conversion issue.

• Hi researcherUK

Many thanks for your reply.

I did have a loading dose of Vitimin D 6 months ago and now taking 800iu maintenance dose, my current level is 92.9 (50-200), do you think it needs to be higher?

Many thanks.

• You are very welcome, HKAnne.

What are the units that were used for the range? are they ng/ml?

According to the Vitamin D Council vitamindcouncil.org/for-hea...

If they were ng/ml, your levels fit within high normal.

High Normal: 80-100 ng/ml (200-250 nmol/l)

• Hi researchUK,

The units used for the range were nmol/L, it states on the results sheet 75-200 nmol/L = Optimal.

Many thanks for the vitamindcouncil link.

• HKAnne

my current level is 92.9 (50-200)

That looks very much like we normally see in the UK where the unit of measurement is nmol/L.

The Vit D Council recommends a level of 100-150nmol/L.

• Hi SeasideSusie,

Many thanks. At the moment I am taking 800iu per day, to get up to 100-150, do you think I need 1000iu per day or slightly more?

• HKAnne - as it's winter and we can't get any Vit D naturally from the sun, I'd be inclined to take your current 800iu plus an extra 1000iu. Retest in 3 months and see where you are.

Are you taking Vit D's cofactors K2-MK7 and magnesium?

vitamindcouncil.org/about-v...

• Hi SeasideSusie,

Sorry for delay in replying.

Thank you for that advice, I will increase Vitimin D and re-test in 3 months.

Yes, I am taking K2-MK7 but not taking magnesium, my magnesium levels were quite good.

How long should you take Selenium for?

Thanks again.

Anne

• How long should you take Selenium for?

As you are Hashi's, and selenium helps reduce antibodies, I would think that selenium is one of your must have regular supplements.

• SeasideSusie,

Many thanks.

Have a goood weekend!

Anne

• Suggest you recheck vitamin D level, 800iu is very often not enough with Hashimoto's

Vitamindtest.org.uk -£28 postal kit

Also have you considered gluten free diet ?

Many with Hashimoto's find it helps

thyroidpharmacist.com/artic...

Plus remember to stop vitamin B complex before blood tests

endo.confex.com/endo/2016en...

endocrinenews.endocrine.org...

• Hi SlowDragon,

Many thanks for your reply and website details.

Vitamin D level is currently 92.9 (50-200), I had a loading dose approximately 6 months ago, when the level was 27 (50-200). Perhaps it needs to be a bit higher?

I started a gluten free diet two months ago.

Unfortunately, my GP called me in for a blood test (cortisol and glucose) at the last minute and I had already taken B Complex, does it skew the results hugely? I can't see him agreeing to let me have another one.

Thanks.

Anne

You may also like...