Thyroid UK
87,679 members102,364 posts

Vitamin D not improving

Hi why would my vitamin D not be improving on a high dose of 6000iu I have been taking since 2015? It is Better You 3000iu that I have doubled up.

Thanks

May 2017

Total vitamin D 60.8 nmol/L (50 - 75 suboptimal)

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Are you taking any other medication besides Levothyroxine? Have you got Hashimotos or an autoimmune condition and are you gluten free? The reason I ask is to explore possible absorption issues.

Yes I have Hashimotos

Thyroid peroxidase antibodies 557.3 IU/mL (<34)

Thyroglobulin antibodies 248.5 IU/mL (<115)

Not gluten free

Hi, I found my Vit D levels increased much quicker when I took Vit D with Vit K2. Have a search for this supplement, I can't remember where I got it from.

1 like

VitD is fat soluble so needs to be taken with a good fat. Some capsules are gel with olive oil - which overcomes that issue. Also magnesium and zinc are co-factors in addition to VitK2 MK7 .....

1 like

If you are going to take magnesium and zinc you need to make sure you take equal doses of them otherwise you won't absorb the zinc.

1 like

I did not know that. Thank you

It's oil/fat soluble. I didn't see any change until I switched to an oil based liquid (biotics research bio D forte) and made sure that i was taking it with a meal containing plenty of fat.

A lot of people with Hashimotos find that going gluten free helps to prevent autoimmune attacks and a healthier gut may help to increase absorption of vitamins from food so could be worth a trial?

You may also like...