Parathyroid Advice please

Hi, not sure if I have the right forum but I have seen a few mentions of parathyroid on here so thought this might be the best place to ask. My doctor has asked me to have a parathyroid test after my vit d has dropped even lower after having treatment. I've been taking fultium d3 for 2 days again and im booked in for the parathyroid test Friday morning, should I stop taking the vit d? I didn't think to ask the doctor. Will it affect the results?

Thanks in advance 😊

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Lorriloo,

If your GP is concerned that your low vitamin D is due to primary hyperparathyroidism he should also be checking your calcium level at the same time as parathyroid hormone (PTH). PTH is a time sensitive test and should be despatched to the testing lab ASAP after the blood draw which is why it is usually done in hospital phlebotomy dept.

parathyroid.com/low-vitamin...

I don't think you need to stop taking vitamin D for the test but you can check with bantam12 or hyperparathyroid.org.uk/

• No need to stop the vitd for the tests but as Clutter says you need calcium and phosphate checked at the same time.

What dose of Fultium are you taking ? be careful with high doses because in hyperparathyroidism vitd lowers to limit calcium absorption.

• I think he's testing for hypo rather than hyper. My calcium was low but not under range last time it was tested. Why do you say hyper?

• Ah well you didn't mention you had low calcium, if your parathyroid is also low then hypoparathyroidism may be a problem. You still need both tested at the same time.

• Ok thanks 😊

• I was told by the Vit D site on Facebook that a component in Fultium is carcinogenic. It is cheap to buy over the counter so may be ask for other suggestions if that concerns you.

• Really! I'll look into that thanks.

You may also like...