B12 Deficiency or Hypothyroidism?

I know everyone keeps playing the guessing game but I still can't figure out if I am suffering from B12 deficiency or hypothyroidism. I am having memory issues along with cognitive decline and am still quiet far from a diagnosis. I tested for AMA antibodies (Anti-TPO) and they came out at 122 IU/ml (negative for < 34) . My TSH is at 6.7 and B12 was at 180 hence I have been supplementing with methylcobalamin for the past 8 months with my current b12 level at 1000+. My question to the experts here is whether a 6.7 level TSH cause brain fog/cognitive issues without any other visible symptoms for hypothyroidism? Also how does one arrive at the diagnosis of B12 vs thyroidism?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dlonelyguy,

It is possible you are hypothyroid and B12 deficient. Primary hypothyroidism is diagnosed by having TSH over range and B12 deficiency will be diagnosed by having B12 level below range.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

b12d.org/b12-signs-symptoms...

• Yes, B12 deficiency causes symptoms. But statistically ferritin deficiency more often mdedge.com/clinicalendocrin...

• Good morning Dlonleyguy,

I have both and symptons especialy the brain fog did not start to clear untill I started getting treated for both.

Perhaps it will be the same for you ?

kind regards

Maud

• You've got both. Now, B12 levels can be misleading. How much B12 are you taking and how often?

Are you on any thyroid hormone replacement?

• Thanks guys for the responses. Well I am taking 5000 mcg daily (Jarrows) and the GP hasn't started with the thyroid treatment yet. Not Sure if I need thyroid replacement at 7 TSH. Also does the high TPO count mean I have Hashimotos for sure or could it be elevated due to some other reason as well?

You may also like...