Help with blood results please!!

I'm currently on 2 grains of NDT and my results are as follows - TSH 0.17 (range 0.3 - 4.5) serum free triiodothyronine 3.7 (range 3.1 - 6.8) serum free T4 9.2 (range 11.0 - 22.0)

Can anybody interpret these as I've had a letter off the GP to make an appt to go in. I don't have much faith in the drs.

I'm always tired, always cold, foggy brain and generally just feel rubbish.

Many thanks.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Stemma6,

I suspect your GP will be confused about low TSH and low FT4, particularly if he assumes you are taking Levothyroxine. Low TSH and low FT4 are quite normal when taking NDT. I think you could raise your dose because FT3 is low in range. You will probably be more comfortable with FT3 5.0-6.8 which will drive your TSH lower.

• Will I feel ok on a lower TSH? I was taking 2.5 grains but was experiencing palpitations so lowered it.

• Stemma6,

TSH doesn't make you feel anything, it is FT3 which influences how you feel. Being under medicated also causes palpitations.

• I also found my heart rate was raised on 2.5 grains. It was beating at around 80bpm.

• Stemma6,

60-100 bpm is normal for adults. If you are more comfortable on a lower dose you don't have to raise but I think your low FT3 is why you feel rubbish.

• Thank you for your help. I think I will try raising again and see what happens. I'm not keen on going to the GP as they've been of no help before.

• GPs generally only do TSH testing which is irrelevent if you are on any form of thyroxine.

You may also like...