Partial thyroidectomy and excema

Hi now 4 weeks post surgery with the all clear that the nodule was not cancer and seeing the surgeon in two weeks for a post op check I'm not on any meds at the moment as the nodule was found by accident. Anyway today I have found a rash/excema at the top of legs not covered but a bit patchy and seems to have just appeared. I'm sure there are loads of causes have nothing to do with the thyroid but just wondered could there possibly be a connection. also whilst not physically red my cheeks feel quite hot...feel like I'm turning into a hypercondriac

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Maz1964,

Make sure you have a thyroid function test. Low thyroid levels can cause skin problems including eczema.

google.co.uk/search?q=Eczem...

• Thank you

• It seems as though people have problems getting the correct tests so could I please ask which tests to ask for as I sort of feel I will only get one chance

Thanks

• Maz1964,

Ideally TSH, FT4, FT3 and thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies will be tested. In reality, your GP probably won't be able to order FT3 and thyroglobulin antibodies.

• Thank you presumably I can get these done privately if necessary from what I have read

• Maz1964,

Yes but it's worth waiting until you have results from your GP. If thyroid peroxidase antibodies are positive Hashimoto's is confirmed and there is no need to privately test thyroglobulin. Wait until TSH is around 1.0 or lower before privately testing FT3.

You may also like...