Iron lab results

This website has been so helpful to me! I am learning a lot! I went to get my iron lab testing done and I want to know if this is normal or good because I understand that Iron needs to be at optimal levels for thyroid medicines to work.

My binding capacity iron total is 77 the ref range is 40-190 mcg/dL

Iron binding capacity 329 and ref range is 250-450 mcg/dL

Saturation is 23 and ref range is 11-50 %

Ferritin 119 and ref range is 10-232.

Just so you know. I find it weird that they would say Ferritin range is between 10 and 232. I mean that is such a huge range. I mean if someone is walking around with a level 10 would be non functioning. Then someone with a 232 would probably have some serious issues! How can a normal ref range be okay at a 10 or up to 232. I just find that so questionable.

Anyway I hope someone can help me on this and let me know if my iron levels are good. I have autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia and have had it for 15 years. I got my spleen removed and haven't had that severe anemia anymore.

Hope to hear back from the 'wise' people! This is an awesome website and I am so glad I found this. Thanks,

Celeste

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • CTipiani,

With some of the broader ranges there will be a level where the result is considered optimal. With ferritin optimal will usually be >100 through to half way in range.

I don't know whether there is an optimal range for iron binding capacity and saturation.

• Optimal iron results are described here :

rt3-adrenals.org/Iron_test_...

stopthethyroidmadness.com/l...

I prefer the first link. The second link doesn't give reference ranges or mention units. The first link is written in such a way as to make that unnecessary.

My binding capacity iron total is 77 the ref range is 40-190 mcg/dL

Iron binding capacity 329 and ref range is 250-450 mcg/dL

Saturation is 23 and ref range is 11-50 %

Ferritin 119 and ref range is 10-232.

I think you've got your results a bit muddled up. You've mentioned iron binding capacity twice and you haven't mentioned serum iron, which would normally be included in a full iron status check. Can you check everything you've typed please.

• I noticed that, but that is exactly what it says. It doesn't even say serum iron. I got this done at qwest labs. Those are the exact listings on there. I had also noticed that as well, but was not sure. Ok I will check that link you sent me. Thank you!

• I think you should contact the lab you got the test done at. Doing full iron testing without testing serum iron is weird and I think a mistake has been made.

Can you give the link of exactly what you ordered, just to check that you got what you were expecting?

• I belive the first is meant to be iron serum 77. The second is TIBC but what I typed is what they put down. Weird. But I think that is really what it means. Thank you for the links. They are helpful.

• You need to know for sure. Contact the lab.

• Ok I will call them and find out. Yeah it is supposed to be the four iron tests for serum, tibc, saturation and ferritin.

You may also like...