Interpreting results

Interpreting results

Hi I know that my Vitamin D is low and can take a supplement for it, however I can't tell if I should still be taking the quarter of a grain of dessicated thyroid. The doctor's at our practice are not helpful because it is dessicated thyroid and I can't discuss it with them. Does anyone know if the results indicate that I need the dessicated thyroid?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Pam70,

I think you need to take more than 1/4 grain. I would take a second 1/4 grain dose 8-12 hours after the first. Most people on NDT are comfortable with TSH <1.0 and FT3 >5.5.

Your B12 is very low. PA Society recommend 1,000 as optimal. Supplement 5,000mcg methylcobalamin for 3 months and then reduce to a 1,000mcg daily maintenance dose. Take a B Complex vitamin to keep the other B vits balanced. Folate is fine.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you so much for your advice it is really appreciated. As I suffer from depression and I sometimes find it difficult to get my head round things. I didn't realise the B12 is also very low. I have been feeling slightly dizzy when I wake up and also sometimes during the day, maybe some f the vitamin deficiency is the reason. I am so pleased that I found this site.

• Hi Clutter. I have read that taking to much of the B vitamins can be harmful. I am now taking 5000 B12 a complex B vitamin and a multivitamin. Will this be OK.

• Pam70,

B12 is probably the only vitamin you can't overdose on as excess is excreted. The amount of B vitamins in most B Complex is unlikely to be high and harmful.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks

You may also like...