Cortisol and thyroid hormones

hypothyroidmom.com/cortisol...

I thought this might be useful for anyone that's struggling to understand how cortisol levels may be influencing their thyroid hormones. I'm sure many of you will already know it but I was finding it difficult to understand after a recent set of blood test results and this was very clear! :)

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thank you I am really confused which way to start feeling better. I read about thyroid and then adrenals and my brain fog mixes it up and I end up not doing anything and feeling worse. It makes sense now why my weight wont shift. Joolz.x

• Hebden, start by posting your latest test results in a new thread, and you'll get some good advice.

• Thank you Ruthi. Very supportive on here. Gentle hugs Joolz.x

• Thank you Ofelia 1. So where can I get a cortisol test done? I think I need to get checked. 🌼

• You could ask your GP to have it tested or you can order a test from Blue Horizon (they're very expensive though). I would suggest doing a saliva test rather than a blood test as I think having a blood test is stressful enough for some people to increase the levels of cortisol, so you don't really get an accurate picture!

• Thank you for that. 🌺

• Genova Diagnostics UK does a 4-part saliva test for checking cortisol levels which is cheaper than Blue Horizon.

gdx.net/uk/product/27

For more info on ordering and any discounts available go here :

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

The NHS doesn't believe in the results of saliva testing, so you will have to follow it up yourself if you do it. It's a popular test amongst thyroid sufferers.

Blue Horizon do blood tests and urine tests for cortisol - do a search for cortisol at each of their websites listed on the Thyroid UK private testing page.

Make sure you know the circumstances required for a cortisol blood test - it needs to be done under specific conditions I think.

• That is excellent thank you humanbean. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• You may find these interesting (and worth taking to the GP):

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/963...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/631...

You may also like...