Thyroid blood tests don't understand

Thyroid blood tests don't understand

Hi All,Sorry for messing you all about,I never realised I had my personal details showing. So I'll start again.

Can anyone tell me how these blood tests look,as I see my Endocrinologist at the end of the month,and to be honest I don't have a lot of faith in him,he's telling me one minuite I have hypothyroidism then hyperthyroidism ,then your alright we will just keep an eye on you,so I'm getting pretty worried. I would also appreciate any questions you may feel I need to ask. Thank you for your patients.

And thank you hummanbean.

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • As I said in your first post those bloods look fine, TSH and bone profile normal.

• Gemini71, TSH 1.02 is euthyroid (normal). Testing TSH only misses diagnoses of secondary hypothyroidism where TSH remains low-normal but FT4 is bottom/below range.

I don't see how your endo can determine euthyroidism, hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism without testing FT4 and FT3 in addition to TSH.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• So in your opinion clutter,I've just got what I started with,Underactive thyroid. If I've got that wrong forgive my ignorance.

Euthyroidism,is another new word to me.

• Also,are they not testing me right?

• Gemini71, I think at the very least FT4 should be tested in addition to TSH. Ideally TSH, FT4 and FT3 will be tested.

• Gemini71, euthyroid is normal. TSH 1.02 doesn't indicate underactive.

• So clutter does euthyroid mean there's nothing wrong.

• Gemini, euthyroid means having a normally functioning thyroid. As I said, I believe at the very least FT4 should be tested because having normal TSH doesn't rule out having low FT4.

• Hi Gemini71

I think what Clutter is saying is that it would be impossible to diagnose hypothyroid or hyperthyroid based on a TSH result only...you would need to have FT4 and FT3 tested as well. Maybe you can ask your Endo to do these tests next time you go?

i believe Euthyroid means neither hypo or hyperthyroid but those more knowledgeable will hopeful chip in.

• I would just like to thank you people for your help,I basically have an idea what your saying,so when I see my Endo,I've got a bit of ammunition. I will also ask for a T4 blood test. Thank you.

You may also like...