how to up Levo dose

Hi All

Have just tried for 3weeks adding T3 to my Levo but it has made me feel so Ill that I want to revert to T4 and stabilise my system. I had been on Levo 87.5/day previously but dropped 4 weeks ago to 50 Levo plus T3. I am not sleeping at all and guess my adrenalin/cortisol has got messed up.

Could someone advise how fast I can increase T4 to where I was before please? I felt much better then

I did try T3 only for 3 months last year without success so it's clearly not for me!

11 Replies

• Hi Daffers

Sounds like your T4 is converting to T3, so you may not need T3. Best go to the Dr and ask for their guidance.

It can take a while for the body to adjust to T3, I started taking it in May, and it's only recently I have started to feel much better.

How much T3 were you taking?

• Hi Monica

Thanks for replying. Yes I have been told I am converting and a recent blood test showed T4 at 20 and T3 at 5. So at that dose of T4 I was converting . dr said I was 'above range' but guessed afterwards he was thinking of TSH! I was on 87.5/100 alt days of Levo, and felt overmed so thouhgt Levo might be building up in system. dr said drop to 75. Then I felt really hypo so thought 'add a bit of T3 might work !

I was advised to drop my T4 from 87.5 to 50, and add in 6.25 XT3. After a week assuming no problems, add a second dose after lunch. First 2,days -fantastic but since downhill all the way!

How did you add T3 and are you converting ? Has it been a rocky ride ?

• Hi Daffers

I started on a very high dose, then reduced with the Endo guidance. I stopped Levo 6 years ago, I became thyrotoxic, because I was not converting So I have been on adrenal support, methylated folic acid and Vit D. 25mcg of T3 in the morning and armour in the after.

• Hi again

I became toxic last year. It was horrible. but that was on T3 only and endo wasn't any help even though I was paying! Are you getting on well with your current regime ? I haven't tried NDT yet but haven't ruled it out.

What adrenal support do you take ?

• Hi Daffers

I'm getting on with my regime, I'm taking Nutri

Adrenal extra. Taking armour at night, T3 in the morning.

All working so far

• Great that it's working for you. You must have a very knowledgeable endo. lucky you!

• Thanks Daffers, my Endo is great, I have a MSc in Nutritional Therapy, which also helps. 😃

• Daffers, you can switch straight back to 87.5mcg Levothyroxine, no need to titrate.

• phew thank you

• I expect I will have this to go through when I start in cytomel. Any advice would be welcome 😊

• I wish you good luck with it. I had such high hopes, first last year that T3 only would be the answer and just recently that T3 and T4 together would work. I do wonder if I lowered my Levo too much -trouble is, by the time I realised that I felt so ill I had to turn back.

It works well for lots of people on here and you will get great advice - I did and I'm very grateful

Best wishes

You may also like...