Results - help

I am currently on 125mcg of levothyroxine each day. Have had underactive thyroid for over 20 years and I have never felt "normal". I don't go to the Dr often as they don't listen to my symptoms. They just say results are normal and to keep on dose and come back in a year. I went to Dr last week as I am really really struggling and told him my periods had stopped for 5 months, I am always tired and exhausted, everything is an effort and I have no quality of life. I dont look forward to anything and I am just wishing my life away. Brain fog, memory loss, cold, depressed - I am at rock bottom.

Dr said it could be my thyroid and took bloods. My results are:

Free T4 (11-27) 16

TSH (0.3-5.0) 5.4

Dr called me with results and said continue my current dose and come back in 2 months.

I feel awful!! No periods, all these side effects for ages and he wants me to continue another 2 months feeling like this. What do I do? Are my results okay? How do I get an endocrinologist? Would they help me. I am 37 years old. Please help.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thank you greeneyes33 for your very informative reply. I will get straight back to my Dr. I am sick of telling them how I feel and they don't listen. But I will insist. Lol

• For someone taking T4 your TSH is too high and should be around 1. You should also get your D3 , B12, ferritin and folate checked.

Hopefully others with more knowledge than me will add their thoughts.

• Jinty11, is there another GP at the practice you can see. TSH is too high, should be nearer 1.0. Read Dr. Toft's comments in Treatment Options thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk for a copy of the Pulse article if it would help to show it to your GP.

Hypothyroid patients are often low/deficient in ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate so ask for those to be tested.

Ask Louise for a list of member recommended endocrinologists before you ask your GP for a referral.

• Thank you for replying to me Clutter. I have read Dr Tofts comments, made interesting reading. I will go back to my GP and ask for more bloods to be carried out and will email Louise. I appreciate you taking time out of your life to advise me. Let's hope I get somewhere.

• Could you ask him if he could prescribe a bit more levothyroxine in the hopes of reducing your TSH as there is a lot of scope and still be within the reference range. That is why there is a reference range because some people feel better when it is at 1 some might be OK at 3. You have to find where you are best at. Like a pair of shoes - average size for a woman is between 5 and 7 but if you are a size 7 you cannot squeeze or be comfortable in a 5.

• Yes..you need a free t3, but if he hasn't done it by now, i doubt he will. Do you have Hashimotos? If you have not been tested ask for that too.

You may also like...