my thanx

am really pleased i had come across this site. Rather than my previous moan I thought I would give a bit of history!!

My symptoms have probably been since puberty, as a child I was always the fat one!! In 95 I lost a lot of weight without trying.... Bliss. This continued until 97 when I began to run on fresh air! I didn't sleep much, always on the go but tearful and having palpitations. Thus I went to my GP. he diagnosed depression and I began my prozac journey. march 97 I had a blood test that showed hyper thyroid,carbimazole started. Sept/oct really unwell turns out I was 12 weeks pregnant!! not alot happened whilst I got a neat little bump. My son turned out 59 cm long , 35 cm Head circumference due to my hyper thyroid? he is now 15 and 6ft 1!! Carbimozole restarted but by Oct 99 they did a total thyroidectomy. I have coped over the years and DR's decide occasionally to drop my doseage but I believe now I have found your support I will stick to my guns and take what suits.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • pottyrai, hugs of empathy to you and selfishly I ask you what is the proven relationship between your son's birth length and head circumference and your hyperthyroidism?

My son is very tall and much older than yours nonetheless I always feel concerned for his (possible) genetic inheritance.

My son never ever wishes to discuss health issues inherited or not.

As to your current treatment which I presume is generic levothyroxine please tell me more about that with your recent blood test results.

I have not had a thyroidectomy but swing between hyper and hypo.

wyn

• Could it be Hashimoto's disease? That tends to swing high or low. I don't know if patients can get testing for the antibodies anymore? My GP refused to test me despite my other auto-immune probs!

• No proven relationship at all but having read many blogs it appears big babies are common? I may just have grown him that way !!!!!!

I hope to have copies of my blood tests later.xx

• pottyrai, I find that interesting because I was still hyper when I had my son, he was 23.5 inches long when he was born, which I think is 58.75 cm.

He is just over 6 feet tall, whereas I am 4ft 11 and a bit, my brother is 5ft 2 inches, my father was the same, my mother was 4ft 9 inches, and my grandmother was 4ft 8 inches. My son's father was about five inches taller than me.

I' too have had a TT and pretty rough treatment in the last 7 years, but now since finding TUK I won't take any more nonsense!

Together we stand!

Marie XX

• I'll try and stand with you pottyrai and marram, but my son was 33cms when he was born six weeks early while I was in the throes of Graves, but should, at that stage, have been about 43cms according to the doctors. His main doctor's name was 'Dr Little', a lovely chap. Had a sub-total when 14 weeks pregnant with my daughter 20 months later and she was born a normal length. My son has special needs and with the help of HGH has reached 5ft 4in. I am 5ft 4in and my husband is 5ft 10in. My son is seeing a new endo in August, so hope he is better than the last one, who I think, was just marking time until retirement.

• there well may be a connection with hyperglycaemia -large babies are common in women with diabetes , and hyperthyroidism tends to increase glucose levels in blood.... just a thought

You may also like...