Feeling anxious, very tense and snappy - is my medication right?

Have Hashimotos and low Vit D and iron. Started on 25mcg Levo in Dec, increased to 50mcg in Feb when also started on Vit d and iron. Had acute thyroiditis attack beg April and went back downhill (tiredness, weight gain, feeling cold etc). April TSH increased from 1.0 to 3.95 (0.3-6.0), FT4 decreased from 15.1 to 11.8 (7.5-21.0), FT3 decreased from 5.2 to 4.5 (3.8-6.0) Endo increased Levo to 100mcg and doubled dose of Vit D and iron. Tiredness improving though still not great, weight gain stabilising but feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown! A few headaches plus feel really wound up, often quite depressed - very low, sometimes tearful and sometimes aggressive - nightmare to live with. Am wondering if it's because I'm till under-medicated post my last thyroid attack. Or any other ideas?

8 Replies

• I would say there's a definate possiblility that it's because you're under-medicated. I get like that when I'm under-medicated! 100 mcg is still a very small dose. Both your T4 and T3 are too low - not even mid-range when most people find they need them at the top of the range to feel well. And they were only just slightly over mid-range before the thyroid attack, judging by the numbers you've given. Have you had vit B12 tested? That also gives nasty symptoms if it's low.

Hugs, Grey

• Thanks I did feel only just about right before and now feel awful. My Vit b12 was 571 (180-914). Am taking some supplements when I remember!

• My experience of both Hyper/Hypo is that the former made me anxious and snappy and the latter so laid back I was slow to react to everything. As you have both, I cannot advise, unless it is due to the Thyroiditis causing hyper symptoms?

• You should try magnesium. I take 250 mgs daily it works wonders all my aches and pains disappeared when taking this mineral. I feel less moody, sleep better, anxiety has gone. Apparently we do not get enough magnesium in our diets. See the link below.

• Thanks I was taking Magnesium and then stopped. Maybe that's behind it. I'll start taking again. Thank you for replying.

• My vitamin D test showed I was below the bottom of the range but I always feel WORSE when taking it. I have a magnesium problem and take large quantities of it, tablets, nebulising magnesium crystals, etc., and I used to have blood tests regularly, so it became apparent very quickly that my magnesium levels plummeted as soon as I started taking D3. My doctors couldn't tell me why this happened but I saw an article recently (possibly on here?) that said that you need magnesium to convert vitamin D to the active form and a lot of people have symptoms that are actually magnesium deficiency symptoms when they take it. I'd stop taking D for a bit, take lots of magnesium, as Yana suggested, and see if your symptoms improve. Then maybe get a vitamin D test to see where you are, and start taking it again, but at a moderate dose.

• Thanks This all makes a lot of sense because I've doubled my dose of vit D and stopped taking magnesium. I've stopped the vit d and started the magnesium so hopefully will be begin to feel a little more sane soon. Thanks for taking the time to write.

• You're welcome! Hope you feel better soon.

You may also like...