SSRI-related IBS

I have anxiety and mild depression issues and was initially taking Citalopram (10mg up to 40mg) for over a year and now on Sertraline 50mg. Apart from the main issue being unsure whether it works with my main condition, it also causes IBS. I had a nervous stomach at times before but it's worse on Sertraline. Is there any over the counter meds that could help?

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I started taking Ativan in late 2012. I started having IBS.symptoms 2013. I have had Colonscpopies, MRI's, CT's, Adhesions, Pelvic Nerve surgery . I have severe pain every day.

I hope you find your solution to your problem.

• Most SSRI'S cause upset stomach and aggravate ibs symptons ..best thing now is to talk to your doctor and try to convince him/her to switch to tricyclic antidepressants or another family of drugs that won't irritate your guts .

Best of luck 🌹

• I was prescribed Sertraline by my doc a couple of years ago and from taking the very first dose I've had unrelenting chronic diarrhoea. I kept thinking it was a side effect that would get better but it never has. I had a colonoscopy which revealed nothing. I've recently switched meds to Fluoxetine as I still need to treat my anxiety and depression and whilst my bowels are slightly better I still maintain the Sertraline has caused the IBSD. I've tried every over the counter and prescribed meds and nothing has helped. Sorry.

• I was on Citalopram for over a year and kept increasing the dose and whilst my digestive system occasionally played up, it was nothing like on Sertraline which I was on for about 4 weeks. I saw my doctor last week and again he said 'we' had 2 choices which is his annoying way to say it was up to me. Basically he told me that I could either stay on Sertraline and hope the side effects wear off or go back to Citalopram/Celexa. That was because when switching to Sertraline I had to reduce from 40mg to 20mg on citalopram then 20mg to 10mg and I explained that in that period of reduction I was strangely the most relaxed and least anxious I've been in ages so I'm now on 20mg or 10mg compared to just over a month ago when I was towards end of 6 months of 40mg which made me feel awful. Hope your situation gets better

You may also like...