Restless Legs Syndrome
9,607 members5,921 posts

Clemastine Fumarate (anti-histamine)

Clemastine Fumarate (anti-histamine)

Has anyone tried clemastine fumarate ( an anti-histamine)? I know most anti histamines make RLS much worse but I cannot find out whether this particular one is a baddie.

It’s not mentioned in my book on RLS so wonder if anyone has any personal experience of it.

It’s shown promising results in a recent MS trial so I’d like to give it a try but not if it makes my RLS worse.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I can see if i can find out for you. Only know one person who might know.

1 like

Apparently it is a sedating antihistamine so not good for RLS. :(

1 like

Where is this information from, Jools? I like to know where we are reading from. :) I do not suggest this med with RLS, and/or combining it with other sedation meds. This med is multi purpose also used for PTSD, and other anxiety problems, also bipolar.

1 like

Hi nightdancer,

The report is in my bi monthly MS magazine “New Pathways” and is a summary of the phase II clinical trial results published in The Lancet ( UK medical journal). It’s available over the counter so it would be a cheap way to improve MS but not at the expense of worsening my RLS.

I actually use Zyrtec in my rotation of nightly helps. even though it is a non drowsy formula it puts me to sleep with no RL. I can’t use it more than 2 days in a row though. It stops making me drowsy after that. I have to wait 4 days before using again to get the same effect.

Thanks for that info.

You may also like...