Prostate Cancer Network
1,320 members591 posts

Incontinence Question

I am 4 weeks out from my RP and have been experiencing incontinence, which is not at all surprising. I realize that I have to be patient, give things time to heal, keep doing Kegels, etc. I am not experiencing much stress incontinence or urge incontinence which is mostly what I've read about. However I seem to have more of a persistent leakage/dribble. Have others experienced this and if so, were you eventually able to become reasonably continent - 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?

20 Replies
oldestnewest

80% recover full continence (less than one pad per day) within a year, and some have some recovery even up to 3 years.

1 like

Thanks - I am optimistic about the long term and realize that statistically, things should be OK.

I was fully continent by your definition at about 2-3 months. That was 2 years ago come February, and I am still so.

Hi Kurt,

I had RP early April this year and I am fully continent since end of July 2018. Since mid Summer that I don’t wear any pad.

Keep doing the Kegel exercises, particularly when walking.

Wish you continuous recovery.

Paulo

Thanks Paulo. I had read that Kegels while standing may be more effective but had not read about doing them while walking - will add that to my regimen.

1 like

Initially I did the kegels while seated or laid down, then someone in this forum told me to try walking too. I sensed most of the improvements when I started doing the kegels while walking and it was quicker.

Good recovery Kurt.

2 likes

I used to do them while walking my dog. It's very easy.

2 likes

Jeff - did you follow any particular routine in terms of how long you held the Kegel, number of repetitions, etc.? thanks

I can't remember. I quit doing them after the leakage stopped. I think maybe I did them 15 times once or twice a day. I was not very compliant with my Kegels!

Yes, that's how it was for a qhile. The next stage was dry during the first half of the day but dribbling when walking in the later half - that's the muscles getting tired out. By 6 months I was fully dry and after a year or so I could hold on while full for hours while vigorously active.

1 like

Thanks - appreciate you sharing your experience and glad that your incontinence is under control

Kurt I saw a physical therapist for few weeks. Helped tremendously. They told me not to do kegel per se but gave me other exercises that mimic the way I actually move. Climbing ladders, twisting in chairs are regular moves I make so I did step ups, leg lifts etc. now I’m almost two years out and still have to wear a pad at least one per day.

1 like

Thanks - I have time with a physical therapist coming up in a few weeks so this is great information to have.

Hi Kurt, This is pretty normal. I have had same issues as well. It comes and goes and will get better with time.

1 like

It takes time. Keep doing your Kegel exercises at least 3 times daily. They helped me a lot. Be patient.

1 like

Hey man. I was at 2 months before I noticed I wasn’t leaking all day. I am at 3 months today and wear a light pad. I occasionally notice a leaglkage at strange movements ( reaching for something ). I went to the gym today did abs and general weight lifting and only is a little leaking during leg press. Don’t get discouraged. I was very discouraged and thought I should be progressing faster. Don’t loose faith. Now I am trying to feel the same way about the ED and using penis pump.

1 like

Thanks for the support - glad to hear you have regained most of your continence. I'm looking forward to resuming my daily running and weight lifting in another few weeks, so hopefully I can get to a manageable situation. I wish you continued good health.

Depending on your level of general physical condition pre-surgery may have something to do with this. I did Kegels before surgery and after. I did not experience persistent dribble, but I did leak often for about two weeks mostly because I did not feel the urge soon enough. I continued my Kegels and eventually was 99% continent for several weeks. Then I would get a surprise when I sneezed, laughed hard, bent down or got out of the car on occasion. My RP was Jan. 5, 2018 and I have now been 100% continent 5-6 months post-op.

1 like

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am at 6 weeks post-RP and still going through 4-5 pads per day so it's a bit discouraging. I am in excellent health and have been physically active for many years. I gave up caffeine, avoid citrus, etc. to keep any bladder irritation to a minimum. Like you, I started Kegels prior to RP and continue to do them. I see MD and physical therapist next week so will see what they have to say. Keeping my fingers crossed that I see some improvement. I wish you the best of health.

Tomorrow will be 6 months from my RP. My surgeon spared left-side nerves, however due to found extra-capsular PCa he managed to spare ~1/3 of my right-side nerves. I still have some incontinence, yet it has lessoned. Wishing all, Best of Health for this holiday season!

You may also like...