Does anyone have any suggestions abou... - Positive Wellbein...

Positive Wellbeing During Self-Isolation

9,735 members9,902 posts

Does anyone have any suggestions about training in Counselling?

new-baby profile image
13 Replies

Hi, I'm looking for a new diourection and have benefitted greatly from counselling recently. I think I could be a counsellor myself as I am highly empathic and able to relate to people from diverse backgrounds. Do you know of organisations that run training in Counselling?

13 Replies
Ajay575 profile image
Ajay575

Hi have you tryed local volunteer groups in your area it is a start ,you can googke your area to see ,there are nany in different areas ,even mental health ,MIND ,etc ,also if there are any wellbeing courses tou could go on through your gp or physio ,i ,I ,know a few people who have been on the courses and later stay on to volunteer for next course and some have been offered job ,look out also for charities in your area that is a goodstart as well ,check out librarys as well if any in area when they open again as you sometimes get leaflets and notice boards for courses and volunteers etc ,someone else may give you some ideas ,,p.s know sure if any in area worth looking for is ,MIDSPACE, or health in mind

new-baby profile image
new-baby in reply to Ajay575

Hi, thank you for your message Ajay and I hope you are well and enjoying the sunshine! You're right, I should contact gp as I have been on two really helpful courses and they might be open to me volunteering to help run one in the future.

Ajay575 profile image
Ajay575 in reply to new-baby

No to bad thanks , yourself too hope things are fine for you, ,,some of these courses also lead to 1 to 1 counselling or group counselling, there is lots out there and a demand, just getting in there and word of mouth etc ,the mental health route is big as well, theses gp courses and wellbeing courses are big the now as well and they gps also hire from outside for the couses in partnership if you could find them they are charitys and a bit easuer to be a counsellor in that field ,i have seen the volunteers go right up the ladder and employed by them etc ,hope you can find something suitable

in reply to new-baby

Have you thought about joining the Samaritans and see where you go from there?

new-baby profile image
new-baby in reply to

Hi, thanks for the suggestion and I will look into it further, hope you are well!

Jayhawker profile image
Jayhawker

I’m a university professor. Counselors actually are highly qualified mental health professionals. If you have an undergraduate degree, you may be able to complete a counseling program at the graduate level. These programs web sites will tell you what the admission criterion are and do forth. I’d definitely encourage you to go a little research to find counseling programs in your area.

Jayhawker

new-baby profile image
new-baby in reply to Jayhawker

Hi, I've got a university degree plus a post grad MA (although I think I didn't really deserve that one!). Am under no illusions about the need for extensive study before becoming a professional counsellor. Am wondering whether it's the right track for me to follow, possibly, a deep furrow ploughed by contact with counsellor reveals my own marked tendency to submit and imitate rather than take flight. Thanks for your interest.

S11m profile image
S11m

No - but my daughter-in-law recently qualified and set up a practice in West London - where are you.

new-baby profile image
new-baby in reply to S11m

Hi! congratulations to your daughter-in-law. I'm in North West London.

S11m profile image
S11m in reply to new-baby

If you pm me, I will ask her for details. She is probably within 10 miles of you.

new-baby profile image
new-baby in reply to S11m

Hi, I wasn't quite sure what pm meant but think it means permission? Any way, yes, and I'm based near Kentish Town West area. Hope you're getting to grips with new directives re lockdown. I have made a mask out of an old sock! Very fetching!

Hi new-baby, Counselling does require a degree, but the Open University offers one if you don't want to enter full time education with all that entails. Good luck with your new endeavour.

new-baby profile image
new-baby in reply to

Hi, thanks for the pointer. I'm finding lots of courses out there, online and at college so will make sure to look into the OU as well. :-)

You may also like...