Chronic pain and work

I've been absent from work for about 4 1/2 months, due to a constant pain in my lower left abdomen. I had an mri and colonoscapy. The colonoscapy was clear, but the mri showed multiple Cysts on my ovaries. I'm now waiting for a referral to gynaecology. So far works been really good but now they want to get occupational health involved. I'm not sure what this means for me, I fully intend to return to work when I'm able to do my job without major problems. The work in a supermarket and my job involves alot of heavy lifting,bending and hours on my feet at the moment I can't even hoover a room. I'm having others symptoms including hot sweats,fatigue, difficulty eating and I've had pretty bad Diarrhoea for months. The doctors don't seem to be in a hurry to get me sorted out. What can I do to help myself?

4 Replies

  • Have you been tested for endometriosis? I find a high dose of anti inflammatory helps and pain killers. They don't like prescribing dicolfenic but if you can get it, it helps with the pain. I have menefienic acid 1 week a month usually during menstration and that is really helpful. But you can only take it for 5 days at a time. Tramodal and oxycontin have been helpful with the pain

  • Occupational Health are on your side. They want to see how you are and support you in your return to work. It's a good idea to talk to them because they can communicate with your work on your behalf. They may even suggest doctors for you to see. They were excellent when I was off last year for a total of 17 weeks. And when I returned to work they put in a phased return with my manager to ensure I didn't hurt myself. Good luck.

  • Everything went fine with occupational health, the nurse agreed that I'm not fit to return to work until after the appointment with gynecology, in 6 weeks. I'm allergic to anti-inflammatories, so I'm on codeine and buscopan.

  • Speak up for yourself. Bring a friend with you the next time you see the doctor, so it's harder for them to ignore your problems. Make a written list of things you want addressed. It's easy to forget things when it's finally your time with the doctor. If he doesn't have any answers, insist on a referral to a specialist or another type of doctor who might be able to help. Ask for a copy of your medical records, so you can get a consultation. Ask for a referral to another doctor if you're not getting straight forward answers.

You may also like...