Osteoporosis

I have PBC and Osteporosis etc. I have been having a hard time walking and doing stairs.

I've had lower back pain for some time and Dr has said it was arthritis. It was bothered πŸ˜• me from time to time. But it is worse now

PBC is such a fun disease - my fatigue is extreme & I took early retirement because I just couldn't Work anymore. I'm 63.

Thoughts suggestions about my walking etc. so Frustrated.

Love ❀️ to all.

Dorothy

9 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hi Ohio82; don't you just love it when the doctor has made that snap decision " it's just arthritis, nothing more to say ...." Maybe a referral to a rheumatologist might be in order? There are over 100 types of arthritis, some actually have a treatment protocol! In the meantime, maybe some physiothereapy, massage, would help. I have osteopenia in my spine, psoriatic arthritis and I find water aerobic classes ( prefer the deep water ones vs shallow) help tremendously. There are certain exercises that are very good for building muscle & helping strengthen the bones that can be done on a regular basis that may decrease your level of pain/ discomfort. But you need to be assessed first. Tell your doctor you need treatment for your back issues , you would like a referral to a good rheumatologist and/ or spine clinic , pronto. I'm 61 & my back has improved since I saw a rheumatologist ( as well as a Hepatologist), I go to the Y on a regular basis to exercise on the equipment that involve weights & aerobics in the pool. A lot of times I am fatigued but force myself to go exercise & always feel better afterwards. Don't be discouraged!

• Thanks so much- don't know what I would do without our group!!!! A lot of useful info you shared, thanks so much !!

• Hello Dorothy, are you taking vitamin D tablets at all? I find these help me walk with less stiffness and pain. Maybe worth a try.

• I do take Vitamin D

• Hi there Dorothy

So you have pbc and osteoporosis ...

you may not b able to get rid of your pbc but there's a lot u can do to maximise your health and increase your bone density

Exercise , especially weight bearing helps to add density to bone - get a referral to a physiotherapist from your doc ..

there are specific classes tailored to osteoporosis

Line dancing , walking , when you feel stronger maybe uphill.. check out health walking groups in your area..

increase your calcium intake - milk, almonds, yogurt for example ..

walk in the sunshine and soak up its free vit D and take supplements between October and spring .. also liver , egg yolks, meat, oily fish ..

if u smoke - consided stopping or reducing - it leaches the calcium from your body

Alcohol also impacts on osteoporosis ..

So pain relief 20 mins before exercising might help - you'll find the exercise less painful but talk to physiotherapist or nurse re best type as that will b unique to your needs

Before u know it your next DEXA will show an increase and that will be all down to your commitment πŸ…

So Dorothy , look for the opportunities here to b the healthiest version of you .. 😊 And shake that Bootie..πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»

Before you know it you'll be gadding off to music festivals , line dancing your way to Nashville (or a UK version of it ) or out scaling the hills in our green and pleasant .. ..

You will be trailblazing for the pbc / osteoporosis communities

πŸ†πŸ΅πŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈ πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘Œ

• Thanks - a lot of Good info here - I've decided today, a lot of my issues besides the fatigue and HE is from osteoporosis and arthritis and need to work on those next.

• Some good information above. Some take calcium also. Many patients with bone issues also speak of benefits from apple cider vinegar, so that, too, may be worth researching.

• Thanks. I do take calcium - need to work on exercise etc

• Have you tried swimming or water aerobic? Several friends said they benefit from that program in YMCA .

You may also like...