PBC Foundation
6,493 members5,679 posts

Other Illnesses and what you eat

I am fortunate to have been diagnosed with PBC very very early due to an anomaly in a blood test for a different condition, an episode of Sensory Myalitis. I also have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and feet. So may I ask are you living with PBC (I hate to say 'just' as it is a big enough condition in it's own right) or do you also have other autoimmune illnesses?

I'm wondering whether I need to treat the autoimmune factor through diet to help ease the resulting conditions, what do you do?

I'm considering cutting out most/all processed foods and gluten, returning to a natural way of eating. Do you have a specific diet you follow?

Also have you cut out alcohol altogether or have the occasional glass?

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello,

I myself have really never been a drinker, so cutting out alcohol was easy for me. I read up on how gluten sets your body into an autoimmune attack and I did manage to stop gluten. That was difficult however I lost weight and no longer suffer inflammation. When I eat something by mistake with gluten, my hands tend to swell up and I cannot get my wedding ring on or off for a day or two. There is an interesting book called "the autoimmune recovery plan that everyone needs to check out. Also, there is a 10 day diet to reverse autoimmune which I am starting tomorrow. I believe diet is huge with recovery! I do feel better when I eat better. Good luck to you. Let me know how it goes.

7 likes

I will try to find that book. Thank you for sharing🌷

1 like

I only weigh 111 lbs, so can't afford to diet, lol! But I can be strict & eat healthier.

1 like

The 10 day diet is not for weight loss. I have never been overweight either, but not as light as you. I'm 135 lbs, 5 ft 4. The diet is supposed to reverse autoimmune. I'm willing to try anything!

1 like

Thank you! I'll see if I can find it at Barnes & Nobles. I'm sure they'll have something. 😊

I meant to share this link as well for the 10 day diet.. I find pages 5 and 6 very informative as well as the diet itself.

drhyman.com/wp-content/uplo...

I've been 'shopping' for some recipe books for my kindle and will study them with a plan to creating a menu plan which will help me and be suitable for my OH!

1 like

Hi Alison,

I've gone vegetarian and it seems to be making a difference to how I feel, I don't eat processed foods and taking vitamin D and fish oils.

1 like

hi i was diag with pbc in 2008 and becoz they did lots of other bloods znd exams also found i have psoriasis arthritis. i now have fibromyalgia and many osteo arthritis joints plus a heart arrythmia so never really know whats getting at me i to am having probs with foods i am trying to find out what im pretty sure tomatoes are having a effect

1 like

You may also like...